VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone does for those little pests that come into your home. I can tolerate the occasional spider but mice, ants (especially the winged kind), cockroaches and termites start to cause problems. I don't feel I should kill them but I don't want them taking over my house and getting in my food and stuff either. What do you do, anyone know of any way to deter them without killing them? Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm curious to see what ideas come out on this one. Bugs have their place outside, and the only mice or rats in our house should be pets!!!

I wanted to mention that the winged ants are termites in case you did not know. They are not the same as the ones you see chewing on the wood, but termite colonies are much like ant colonies, and there is more than one kind of termite, the same as ants. The winged ones are the ones that you can use to identify if termites are in the area and you are about to get an infestation.

You mentioned termites in your list, so I just thought I should mention that in case you did not realize they were the same, in case it helps somehow.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post

I was wondering what everyone does for those little pests that come into your home.
Oh... I never allow door to door salespeople into the house. Never. Same for religious door-knockers. Sometimes relatives manage to sneak in but those I just suffer in silence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well i have a HUGE pest problem in my apartment (can't wait to move out in 2 months!!). i had about 10 beetles fly into my living room every night in the summer - i would either pick them up and throw em back outside or let my cat hunt them down.

ants - i try to catch them. sometimes i make a mistake and kill them. eep! but i have been trying to naturally prevent them with chalk at entrances. apparently they avoid that!

gnats - LOTS of them. they seem to lay their eggs inside homes during hte summer, then once winter comes, EVERYONE's place is covered with them. I am sorry to say, i kill them. same with mosquitoes... i would wake up in the morning with SOOOO many bites on me. i started getting very angry adn taking revenge..

of course - initially i tried everything - even a sonar-wave insect derrent thing my parents gave me. sorry but if you're mission is to take/hurt me... then you're going down!! no matter who/what you are.

im deathly scared of spiders and would never kill one - they go under glass and out the door!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonPep'r View Post

I wanted to mention that the winged ants are termites in case you did not know.
ya to add on to that - at my old house, i had a glass door and then the regular wood front door. it was summertime. i was coming home from work. i get out of my car (i lived alone - note - the house was all wood). i walk to the door and between the wooden front door and the glass/screen door were about 30000 ant/termite looking things. i swear to you - i was terrified. i was scared to open it and have them attack me - bc even after that if i tried to get into the house, they would come too!!! apparently they all hatched at the same time and the only way to get out from the wood deck underneath was up between the two doors - they were all trapped.

i hate to say it but i had to call over my neighbor and him and his son just hosed them down with big killer. there was really no other way... it was a scene from a horror movie!!!!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
That's a tough one. If they're seriously causing damage to your house, call out an exterminator. They can spray a chemical that eliminates them quick. For mice, I bought these green houses that you trap them in and release. They work very well with crackers, but they're too small to rats.

When it comes to spiders in the house, I name them and let them be. If they're in the way, I just get a cup and take them outside. Ditto with other bugs. Ants... I can tolerate until they do something like cover $130 worth of candy my parents bought for X-Mas. One or two is fine, but when they swarm my house, I start to kill them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Spiders mostly live in my house, Daddy long legs have permanent residence although I do move them from the toilet to the hallway if they freak out my kids-lol. Baby huntsman are also allowed inside but once they get to teenage years and start growing they go out to the garden. We have masses of white tails here (they can cause skin rot-eek!) so they die as do redbacks who take up residence under the kids swingset or under chairs outdoors that my kids play on, too risky.

We don't have mice but if we did I'd use humane mousetraps and let them outside somewhere (I'm guessing my cats have something to do with me not having any). Mozzies die, as do flies cause there's just no way I can "move" them and they spread gross stuff on food.

Other little creep crawlies I mostly let go and ants I sprinkle talcum powder around and they eventually stop coming in. Providing there's not too many and they're not in my kitchen or eating all my cats food I leave them be. We seem to get quite a lot of those big orange one's with black bottoms getting lost on our carpet. If I can I usually stick them outside too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've found with ants, that the only time they come in is to clean up something you have missed, like dropped cookie crumbs or something. As soon as the mess is gone they seem to go too. So I keep everything I don't want them in in covered containers and the little ant brigades that do come in, I consider a free cleaning crew.

Spiders always stay, my house usually looks quite dirty because I feel guilty cleaning their webs down.

Mice and Rats we don't have, there are too many pythons about the place.

Cockroaches are where I draw the line, I am not happy with them in my house, they spread disease and quite frankly they terrify me. Bush/wood roaches are different though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it's an individual spider or beetle or somthing I try to relocate it outdoors.

If it became an issue where moth grubs or somthing are infesting my food, then I could consider it a survival issue since they are endangering my food supply and would too whatever I needed to do to solve the problem, though I'd try non-lethal tactics first.

·
Registered
674 Posts
We rarely have bugs of any sorts in the house, and never had mice or rats. When the door is open a bee might come in in summer time though, I let that live, it finds its way out eventually. I kill mosquitos when Im outside if they bother me.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I have a rule: if it can infest, bring disease or hurt me in some way, it's outta here!

Mice, ants, cockroaches, termites, etc, etc all come under this catagory, IMO. If I had any of these critters hanging about in MY homestead, I'd be at the hardware store for a big, fat bottle of "rid em all" so fast it'd make heads spin.

The only exception to that rule is the daddy longlegs spiders that wander into my house - those I'm not real quick about getting rid of. Any other species of spider, though, gets the bottom of my shoe or whatever else I can find that will kill them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We have had a recurring mouse problem and I know its the same mouse because it is way to calm in the little humane trap we have. First time we used the trap it was freaking out and was happy to be let out. The second time it was calmer, this third time it was scratching the side of the trap like a dog wanting let out. Its the fattest field mouse I have ever seen! I try to keo the house clean but something must be escaping my notice.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We had mice in our kitchen, it was easy enough to buy a humane rat trap, catch them (we've got two so far and we think that's it) and realise them a couple of miles away.

We had one trap which didn't work at all, but we used a different sort which worked right away. So bare that in mind, different traps work differently, one had a little slidy slope to walk UP before you got to the food, which didn't work, the other they wandered straight in and the door closed behind them (whilst they munched on stilton cheese and peaunuts which we inticed them in with!)

So as far as mice are concerend I don't see the point in killing them when it's just as simple to buy a humane trap.

I don't know what I would do in the situation of any infesations etc really, single ones I'd just move outside but that's different.

OH and don't forget, with mice and rats they need to be released at least 1km away or they come back

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
We had a rat in my old house and even after I told my Dad not to poison it, he did. He had to live with the smell after it died in my parents wall. 2-3 weeks of dead rat. *snicker* I told him to catch it humanely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts