VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, go easy on me since I'm new. Not only to this forum, but new to the concept of avoiding red meat. It's simply the way I was raised, and as I've grown more health conscious lately (I'm almost 22), I'm looking for ideas to improve my diet and be a lot healthier.

But it'd be nearly impossible for me at the moment to say I'll avoid any sort of "meat" (and I personally see no reason to other than for health, but I respect everyone else's opinion and am very open minded). So I've been toying with the idea of pescetarianism. Believe me, for me, this is a big change. But here's my concern: I know fish is generally quite beneficial from a nutritional standpoint, but what about the mercury? If I look up the issue on Google, I find a lot of people saying it's not as bad as it's made out to be, and a lot of people saying it shouldn't be eaten very often in a week.

So who is right? I definitely could replace all of my meat consumption with fish. It'd be a big change, but I like fish. But I'm worried about the possible health problems associated with consuming a lot of mercury, if I even would be. Generally I like salmon, tuna (I know this one is known to have more mercury), yellowtail, halibut, shrimp, etc... keep in mind I actually prefer to eat fish raw. This is another huge change recently but I haven't found it to be nearly as fishy tasting when raw.

Can anyone help? It'd be much appreciated!
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofreaktarma View Post

Alright guys, go easy on me since I'm new. Not only to this forum, but new to the concept of avoiding red meat. It's simply the way I was raised, and as I've grown more health conscious lately (I'm almost 22), I'm looking for ideas to improve my diet and be a lot healthier.

But it'd be nearly impossible for me at the moment to say I'll avoid any sort of "meat" (and I personally see no reason to other than for health, but I respect everyone else's opinion and am very open minded). So I've been toying with the idea of pescetarianism. Believe me, for me, this is a big change. But here's my concern: I know fish is generally quite beneficial from a nutritional standpoint, but what about the mercury? If I look up the issue on Google, I find a lot of people saying it's not as bad as it's made out to be, and a lot of people saying it shouldn't be eaten very often in a week.

So who is right? I definitely could replace all of my meat consumption with fish. It'd be a big change, but I like fish. But I'm worried about the possible health problems associated with consuming a lot of mercury, if I even would be. Generally I like salmon, tuna (I know this one is known to have more mercury), yellowtail, halibut, shrimp, etc... keep in mind I actually prefer to eat fish raw. This is another huge change recently but I haven't found it to be nearly as fishy tasting when raw.

Can anyone help? It'd be much appreciated!
This forum is for actual vegetarians only, are you planning on giving up all meat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Veggieboards is a forum for vegetarians and vegans, and those moving towards veg*nism, as such we don't advocate the eating of any animals, including fish. In fact, if you read the rules, you would notice that the talking about eating fish is not allowed.

From a nutritional standpoint, there is nothing in fish that you can't get elsewhere.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

This forum is for actual vegetarians only, are you planning on giving up all meat?
No, I wouldn't think so. But I was under the impression, though, that there are subgroups within vegetarianism including pesco-vegetarians. My apologies if this is strictly a vegetarian forum. Could anyone recommend me another place to post possibly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Veggieboards is a forum for vegetarians and vegans, and those moving towards veg*nism, as such we don't advocate the eating of any animals, including fish. In fact, if you read the rules, you would notice that the talking about eating fish is not allowed.

From a nutritional standpoint, there is nothing in fish that you can't get elsewhere.
Very sorry then, should've read the rules. Just was under the impression that pescetarians were semi-accepted by vegetarianism other than the stricter ones, so this forum would be fine to post on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Pesco-vegetarians. Snort.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay then, well don't ban me at least! I'm open-minded and perhaps lurking/posting more will bring me around to your side. Can anyone recommend a good place to start reading on the immorality of eating animals? Because that's my biggest hurdle to overcome.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofreaktarma View Post

Okay then, well don't ban me at least! I'm open-minded and perhaps lurking/posting more will bring me around to your side. Can anyone recommend a good place to start reading on the immorality of eating animals? Because that's my biggest hurdle to overcome.
Sure: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...mTr_qKlhJBE8KQ
 

·
Ankle Biter
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
Google pescatarian forums. Google Farm Sanctuary, Peta, Peaceful Prairie, and the ?humane Society of the United States. Good bye.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top