VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm on my other forum which consists of mixture of people who are omnivores, veg*n, etc. Then, this person messages me saying she's pescatarian and wants to know advice on where to eat-- so on and so forth.

Then, she makes this ridiculous statement:

Quote:
When I first told DB he was like "Why???!!!" But I explained that they are so cruel to those animals and fish are just different... I mean, they have an attention span of 3 seconds. I do try to only eat fish that comes from the Gulf Coast.

Not only did that make me angry but it was a smack on the face. I was about to go off on her but I kept calm. I gave her scientific fact that scientists predict fish extinction if we continue to fish at the rate we currently are. Also, I gave her a link to the PETA website about the cruelty of what happens to fish.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I wouldn't get too angry. she is on the right way, and people are often misinformed in this. i was a pescatarian myself and had the same attitude. it was the information that made me change my mind. so it is good you send her links. i would just be angry if she doesn't believe it, lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! I'll try to send her that.

She hasn't replied back after giving her the information I provided.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Some marine biologists believe that fish actually experience more pain than mammals due to their sensitivity to minute changes in water temperature, pressure, and flow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know much about fish, but I have a fish tank and fish are pretty impressive. They recognize you when you walk in the room, my one goldfish knows our morning feeding ritual and when he sees me walk over in my PJ's he starts darting around the tank and coming to the top for food. Sure thats not a super high level of intelligence but it proves they have some memory of events. Also this is pretty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JFmrlgWAk&feature=related

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
yeah don't need to be hard on her, just give her info and maybe she will read it in her time. We banned fish and seafood from the house because hubby is highly allergic to the smell and oil in it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The main reason I don't eat fish is that I see all lives as being just that; a life. Doesn't matter what it belongs to, or how long or complex that life is going to be. It's the life of a creature that feels pain. And every time you eat a fish, that's one whole life. At least a cow will provide more than one meal. A plate of prawns or scampi is even worse. Then again, I've always kept fish, and they all had different personalities. They're incredible creatures. And several of them lived longer than a lot of humans; one bog-standard goldfish managed to survive almost 10 years. So I've always felt attached to them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherann1220 View Post

I don't know much about fish, but I have a fish tank and fish are pretty impressive. They recognize you when you walk in the room, my one goldfish knows our morning feeding ritual and when he sees me walk over in my PJ's he starts darting around the tank and coming to the top for food. Sure thats not a super high level of intelligence but it proves they have some memory of events. Also this is pretty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JFmrlgWAk&feature=related
Lol, I've seen that video before. My goldfish swim towards me when they see me and if I move-- they move with me. When I open the lid to put food in they're already going to the surface to eat. I just love these little fellows. I hate how fish get pushed to the side. SMH.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My last two goldfish, Sid and Iggy (RIP) would go BONKERS if you picked up the food container, would swim in circles when you came in the room, Iggy would actually come to the surface to let me touch him.

I plan on getting a betta for my next one. I have a 5 gallon tank just waiting for a brightly colored little warrior to call it home

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree, at least she is on her way to being veggie/vegan. Best you can do is keep giving her the info!

Also, I was one of those people that believed the "3 second memory" myth for YEARS, and I am so glad someone bothered to show me that I was being misled! It seems a silly thing to have believed now, but I just accepted it as common knowledge. Major face palming.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Tell her to google "bycatch" :p
Agree -- this is what finally got me to stop eating fish. In retrospect, I can't believe it was such a struggle for me anyway, but I did find the bycatch issue very persuasive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: So, I didn't get a reply from her after providing information about fish. :shrug: I wasn't mean or anything, I was just providing facts but I guess she didn't want to be bothered by it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Speaking of goldfish from pp's. I bought a new (bigger) tank yesterday to put my goldfish in. I let them sit in the tank so they could get accustomed to the water temperature. As I was adding a fish at a time, I noticed compassion, (probably) communication, and relationship with each other. I mean the comment "3 second memory span" really hit home, because watching these goldfish communicate the way they did is amazing!

Also, ignore my voice. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've never understood the 'fish feel no pain' argument that Omni's sometimes push on me. I've never eaten fish in my adulthood, after being somewhat forced to eat fish as a child and I never LIKED it. I didn't want to eat it. And I agree with what another poster up above said...it's a life. A living, breathing creature and I want no part in eating it. But I never push my views on others and give them the tools and education they need to make a choice...but that 3 second thing? Pfft, never even heard that silly myth before!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was a pescatarian before I became Vegan. I think a lot of it had to do with the environment I grew up in (south louisiana) and fish being a MAJOR food group. But after I realized that a fish is, indeed, a LIFE form, then I went vegetarian and then vegan. Now I can't even stand to watch people fish because of the cruelty.

OP: I am sorry about your friend. Hopefully she will wise up. You were a good friend to try to help her. No one else might have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts