VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really... don't think there are many jews on here, but since there is an Easter thread already, I figured there should be a Pesach one as well.

I had a friend ask me if we have a ham on Pesach like christians have on Easter, teehee.

Anyway, What are some awesome Matzoh dishes being planned for this year?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

Is that like passover never heard of it?
It is passover :p

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, my family is Jewish by heritage, but we're not really religious.

Still celebrating the passover, though! We always do a big thing with extended family, and friends of the family.
Gonna get some vegetable-stock matzoh ball soup, a helluvalotta manichevvitz wine, gonna read about Moses lifting his rod and parting the sea...

Looove passover.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

Well, my family is Jewish by heritage, but we're not really religious.

Still celebrating the passover, though! We always do a big thing with extended family, and friends of the family.
Gonna get some vegetable-stock matzoh ball soup, a helluvalotta manichevvitz wine, gonna read about Moses lifting his rod and parting the sea...

Looove passover.
I love how Pesach is right after Purim! It's one party after another.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm not Jewish but my boss is and she makes a MEAN a$$ kugel. Lucky for me, she brings me my own special baby loaf of it! YUM.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I'm not Jewish but my boss is and she makes a MEAN a$$ kugel. Lucky for me, she brings me my own special baby loaf of it! YUM.
I've always been so challenged at making Kugel, it comes out mutant as all hell.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'll share!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am not Jewish either but, I like some of the Jewish Holidays as well. My Lutheran church I attended in the 80's observed Passover dinner. However I don't remember what they served I was like 10 years old.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always wondered why christians didn't celebrate jewish holidays, since they're kind of their holidays as well.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
*waves hand* My aunt usually hosts the Passover seder for extended family, but I'm not sure if she's doing it this year as she was ill recently and had a pacemaker put in and I'm not sure if she'll feel up to doing much this year.

You want I should post my mother's recipe for matzoh brei? It's vegetarian, not vegan, and I have NO idea how to veganize it as it calls for eggs which are kind of essential in making it. It also calls for butter, but vegan margarine can be substituted.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

You want I should post my mother's recipe for matzoh brei? It's vegetarian, not vegan, and I have NO idea how to veganize it as it calls for eggs which are kind of essential in making it. It also calls for butter, but vegan margarine can be substituted.
Absolutely post it! I go to the local Chabad house for the seders, I'm super good friends with the Rabbi and his wife, so I would probably be there anyway :p

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
My mother's recipe, radically rewritten but basically the same

Matzoh Brei, also known as Jewish French Toast, perfect for breakfasts during Passover and all year round.

For lacto/ovo vegetarians.

Ingredients:
2 full sized pieces of matzoh per person
cold water
1 egg for every 2 matzohs
butter or butter substitute
low fat or nonfat milk

Beat the eggs first
Break up the matzoh into bite sized pieces into a bowl with just enough cold water to soak up all the pieces, just enough to soften it slightly, but don't make it soggy.
Pour off the water
Add beaten eggs and a dash of low fat or nonfat milk to the matzoh and mix gently but well together
Fry in a shallow frying pan or skillet in plenty of butter or margarine
Lift and turn by sections, until lightly browned yet tender but not undercooked.
Serve immediately

Top with your choice of:

salt
maple syrup
strawberry preserves

ETA: If it looks like you're going to be REALLY hungry, or if you want to make extra to store in the fridge or freezer, use 3 pieces of matzoh per person. (or, as my mother's recipe says, for growing grandchildren)

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Amy, that looks pretty similar to my mom's old "recipe" for Matzah Brei. I put "recipe" in quotes, because that word implies writing things down, which just never happened when it came to my family and cooking. My grandmother's food never came out the same way twice, because she was constantly making it up as she went.

We didn't use butter/margarine, though. Just spray the pan with Pam or something first. And instead of putting the matzah into a bowl with water to soak, we just put the matzah in a strainer and ran the kitchen sink, to let the water filter through it without staying on it long enough to get really soggy. Also, our recipe calls for a splash of vanilla extract. And I think we did a ratio of 4 matzahs to 3 eggs, instead of 2 to 1 (or 4 to 2 for two servings) in yours. And I always liked sugar on it instead of syrup.

But the base concept is pretty much the same, despite those changes: Mix broken, watered down matzah with eggs and milk, and stir fry it like scrambled eggs. Top with something sugary and serve.

Now you've got me considering buying some matzah and eggs to make Matzah Brei. Even before I started leaning vegan, this was the only time of year I ever bought eggs, and it was just for this. But I had decided I didn't want to buy eggs any more, even though I'm not entirely vegan. And I'm not even remotely Jewish these days, despite my heritage. But Matzah Brei isn't about religion for me - it's comfort food.

Maybe I'll look up tofu scramble recipes to figure out how to veganize the egg part of this recipe.

As for the holiday itself, I have no plans whatsoever. I don't even know when it is.

--Fromper

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

As for the holiday itself, I have no plans whatsoever. I don't even know when it is.

--Fromper
The first Seder is the 18th, and the second is the 19th, and it's from the 18th to the 26th ^.^

1 - 20 of 28 Posts