VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I make Isa C's matzoh balls a few times a year but my rabbi (who thinks I'm nuts for being veg) pointed out that tofu is a no-no at the community seder.

Ashkenazi members.

sooo... how to make your matzoh ball up and still be light and edible?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Why is tofu not Kosher for Passover? I'm not religious enough to keep Kosher, but I'm mildly curious.

And did you point out to the rabbi that Adam and Eve were vegetarians? Everyone remembers what they were told not to eat, but he should look at what they were told they should eat in Genesis. If the Garden of Eden was perfection before sin, then shouldn't Adam and Eve's diet be the theoretical ideal?

--Fromper

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
From The How To Handbook for Jewish Living copyright 1993, what to avoid at pesach:

Chametz is the leavened product that results when wheat, rye, barley, oats or spelt (the "five grains") comes into contact with water for more than eighteen minutes. Therefore, all breads, pastries, cakes, cookies and dry cereal are considered pure chametz.

In addition to these five grains, Askenazic Jews do not eat rice, corn, beans, peas and peanuts on Pesach. Since flour can be made of these grains and baked into bread, it may lead to confusion, say the rabbis.

I'd be really interested to know how veg*an Jews who keep kosher during Passover manage without all those foods!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
So speaking of Pesach, I was grocery shopping today, and I bought my Passover food. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that most of the "Kosher for Passover" snacks seem to be vegan. Unless I'm overlooking something in the weird unreadable ingredients, Ring Jells are vegan!
I feel my waist line expanding just from knowing that.

On a related note, does anyone have a vegan version of matzah brei? I'm not vegan, but I'm leaning in that direction. I might break down and buy some cage free eggs just so I can have matzah brei, but I'm willing to experiment with vegan versions, if anyone has one. For me, it doesn't have to be strictly Kosher or strictly vegan, but the closer it is, the better.

--Fromper

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

In addition to these five grains, Askenazic Jews do not eat rice, corn, beans, peas and peanuts on Pesach. Since flour can be made of these grains and baked into bread, it may lead to confusion, say the rabbis.

I'd be really interested to know how veg*an Jews who keep kosher during Passover manage without all those foods!
I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, salads, stir fries, applesauce, pistachio nuts, and matzah. It's not terribly exciting but for eight days it's doable. The whole no legumes thing sucks though. If I could eat all of those things on Passover I honestly think I would barely miss bread at all.

·
Registered
548 Posts
matzah balls with no tofu or other legumes:

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/PE..._-_pareve.html

I haven't made this recipe so I don't know how it turns up, I hope it can be useful.

My vegan matzah brei:

I just break a matzah to small pieces, mix with soy milk, nutritional yeasts and some spices and fry with a little oil. If you have a favorite recipe for scrambled tofu, try to replace the tofu with matzah.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I don't keep Kosher, but I know some who do and don't eat legumes during Passover. Matzah and potatoes can fill you up, lots of vegetables of course and nuts to have some protein. I think it's not so hard as long as you're in a vegan friendly house, it can be almost impossible otherwise. Well, here Passover is not so easy as a vegan anyway..

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

So speaking of Pesach, I was grocery shopping today, and I bought my Passover food. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that most of the "Kosher for Passover" snacks seem to be vegan. Unless I'm overlooking something in the weird unreadable ingredients, Ring Jells are vegan!
I feel my waist line expanding just from knowing that.

On a related note, does anyone have a vegan version of matzah brei? I'm not vegan, but I'm leaning in that direction. I might break down and buy some cage free eggs just so I can have matzah brei, but I'm willing to experiment with vegan versions, if anyone has one. For me, it doesn't have to be strictly Kosher or strictly vegan, but the closer it is, the better.

--Fromper

I eperimented the last couple of years with making matzoh brei by soaking the matzoh pieces in apple juice before frying them in the pan. It falls apart more than the egg version does, but it was still tasty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.