VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adapted from http://chefinyou.com/2009/11/skillet...-pizza-recipe/

Suitable for a vegetarian or vegan diet

Way faster than any normal dough pizzas, and the crust has a different but really good flavour and texture. This is a really easy last minute dinner, too, when you're a tired pumpkin like me.

This can be doubled to fill a ten-inch pan, but that's still not really enough to feed more than two, maybe three people (if they're small)

Required equipment: measurers, cast iron frypan of 5" or greater

1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup polenta or cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
paprika
salt
2/3 cup milk (dairy or non) (or 1/3 cup milk and an egg)
chili flakes
1 tbsp parmesan, grated (optional)

Toppings of choice (I use a mushroom, a small bell pepper, and half of a roasted tomato, plus dutch gouda, and don't bother with tomato sauce, the crust has enough flavour and it'll make it soggy)

Preheat broiler on high
Lightly oil and set frying pan to heat up

-Mix flour, polenta, baking powder, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Add paprika and salt to taste.
-Make a well in dries, and add milk and, if using, egg. Mix until it's a fairly thick paste, then add parmesan if using and chili flakes. Mix well.
-Test the heat of the frying pan with a drop of water. Then pour the batter into a 5" circle in your pan- I find a pan larger than needed works best, otherwise it's like flipping a pancake the size of it's pan, you know?
-Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side- the first side should be easy to lift a corner without the uncooked top flowing, much easier than any pancake. If it runs, it's not done or you've added too much liquid.

Top the pizza, and set in the broiler 5-10 minutes- long enough to melt cheese or crisp veggies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This sounds amazingly quick and easy! I'll make it for dinner some time this week, thanks for the recipe!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's super easy, and I actually made it twice the other day because I was hungry and it's fast. I meant to make it for th longest time, after trying it once, but there was no cornmeal in my house for... a while.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I make something similar to this- I do it the cheat's way though :/ (premade polenta topped with onion, mushrooms, canned tomatoes and nutritional yeast) after seeing how simple this recipe is though I really should give it a go from scratch! Thank you for sharing
smiley.gif

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
!!!

I haven't made this in the last year or so, and skimming my old posts was clearly a good idea.

The other reason I am commenting is to add that salsa goes delicious with this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts