Category: Main Dishes - Rice

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

For Rice-

1 C brown Rice

1/4 C lentils

2 T Earth Balance or other vegan margarine

1 t curry powder (or to taste as brands vary)

1 bay leaf

1/2 t cinnamon

1 1/4 c vegetable broth*

1 c tomato juice

Vegetable mixture

2 T Earth Balance

2 T vegetable oil

3/4 t curry powder (or to taste)

few shakes of cinnamon

2 t sugar or other sweetener

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced veggies of your choice (mushrooms, summer squash, roasted winter squash cubes, asparagus, onion, etc. )

1/2 C raisins re-hydrated in hot water

1/2 C toasted pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds

Salt and pepper to taste

*Amount of vegetable broth needed may vary a few table spoons depending on brand and type of brown rice used, you might have to experiment to get "perfect" rice texture with your brand.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Toss brown rice, lentils and spices in melted earth balance and put in a loaf pan. Bring vegetable broth and tomato juice to a boil and pour over rice mixture, cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake in oven for 1 hour. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Allow to stand and cool to room temp while you cook vegetable mixture, you may throw it in freezer to make things go faster.

Heat a pan over high heat and add EB and oil, add curry powder and cinnamon and allow to mix with oil being careful it doesn't start to burn. Quickly add vegetables and stir fry until they are cooked to your liking. Sprinkle in sugar and salt and then add in cooled rice, pine nuts and raisins, toss and heat through.

Serve with grilled veggies, or as a main dish.

Additional comments:

My boyfriend LOVES this recipe and it makes wonderful leftovers.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
sounds wonderful!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took this to my boyfriend's parent's very rural church for Easter and it was a hit. One person asked to take some of the left overs home and I got several requests for the recipe. My college aged guy roommates also devoured it, so it gets an omni seal of approval!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I was once married to a Persian, and they know how to cook rice!

I have lots of great recipes that I will share if anyone would like them.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I was once married to a Persian, and they know how to cook rice!

I have lots of great recipes that I will share if anyone would like them.
:raises hand: count me in! There is one place here that serves persian food but it's way too expensive for me to get as much as I would like.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
My nephew is engaged to a girl from a Persian Jewish family, and I've been privileged to sample some of her mother's great Persian rice dishes. I was going to post a recipe for one of them, but I forgot, and now this!

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thebelovedtree- I haven't made the Persian rice dish yet- but it sounds great and I plan on making it. I'd also like to take you up on your offer to share some of the other recipes you may have- Thanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just made something very close to this. The rice was sauteed with onion, garlic, and curry, then steamed with veggie broth. After it was done, I added 1 can each of organic garbanzo beans & black beans, then tossed with chopped cilantro. Most excellent. I made wraps with butter lettuce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts