VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I gather that they can be. I have to qualify it that way, because all of that passed remarkably easily for me. I started having periods only intermittently, and they were much lighter than normal, often no more than spotting. Not one hot flash, no hormonal emotions, nothing. Very, very much unlike the other women in my family, who until then I had resembled physically/medically. I think it may have had something to do with having stopped eating dairy years earlier, and eating soy products, but maybe it was just a fluke.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

On the websites that I have been to it just says 'changes in menstual cycles'. I thought it might mean frequency, duration, and volume would be decreased, but I am seeing the opposite.

Do you think it is just the dairy changes in your diet that made it easier for you or the removal of all meat products that helped.
It may well have been both. I guess I had not eaten meat for so long by then that I didn't even give that part of it any thought. My sister did have all the *normal* menopausal stuff - hot flashes, night sweats, emotional rollercoaster - but she's nine years older than I and stopped eating meat a year or two after I did, and she went into menopause early (after effects of treatment for breast cancer years before), so she had been vegetarian for a lot fewer years than I when menopause started.

Based on the experiences of my sister, mother, and various aunts, I had expected to experience the full gamut of menopause symptoms, knew I would have to tough it out because I wasn't prepared to add to the demand for premarin, and then it surprised me by just happening so completely unnoticeably.

I don't know whether there are any studies on the effects of eating soy products on menopause. I do know that soy contains elements that mimic female hormones, so I figured that my regular cravings for tofu and soymilk and my satisfying those cravings may have had something to do with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts