VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are achangin' with me and I think this is it. Who has been through this?

I had a period on March 25th that lingered on for ten days. Then another one started on the 15th of April. I started again on Thursday. And it is super heavy.

I cannot find out for sure on the sites I have been to. I have a doctor's appointment this Thursday, but am just curious if anyone knows if these can be symptoms.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I gather that they can be. I have to qualify it that way, because all of that passed remarkably easily for me. I started having periods only intermittently, and they were much lighter than normal, often no more than spotting. Not one hot flash, no hormonal emotions, nothing. Very, very much unlike the other women in my family, who until then I had resembled physically/medically. I think it may have had something to do with having stopped eating dairy years earlier, and eating soy products, but maybe it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the websites that I have been to it just says 'changes in menstual cycles'. I thought it might mean frequency, duration, and volume would be decreased, but I am seeing the opposite.

Do you think it is just the dairy changes in your diet that made it easier for you or the removal of all meat products that helped.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

On the websites that I have been to it just says 'changes in menstual cycles'. I thought it might mean frequency, duration, and volume would be decreased, but I am seeing the opposite.

Do you think it is just the dairy changes in your diet that made it easier for you or the removal of all meat products that helped.
It may well have been both. I guess I had not eaten meat for so long by then that I didn't even give that part of it any thought. My sister did have all the *normal* menopausal stuff - hot flashes, night sweats, emotional rollercoaster - but she's nine years older than I and stopped eating meat a year or two after I did, and she went into menopause early (after effects of treatment for breast cancer years before), so she had been vegetarian for a lot fewer years than I when menopause started.

Based on the experiences of my sister, mother, and various aunts, I had expected to experience the full gamut of menopause symptoms, knew I would have to tough it out because I wasn't prepared to add to the demand for premarin, and then it surprised me by just happening so completely unnoticeably.

I don't know whether there are any studies on the effects of eating soy products on menopause. I do know that soy contains elements that mimic female hormones, so I figured that my regular cravings for tofu and soymilk and my satisfying those cravings may have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

It may well have been both. I guess I had not eaten meat for so long by then that I didn't even give that part of it any thought. My sister did have all the *normal* menopausal stuff - hot flashes, night sweats, emotional rollercoaster - but she's nine years older than I and stopped eating meat a year or two after I did, and she went into menopause early (after effects of treatment for breast cancer years before), so she had been vegetarian for a lot fewer years than I when menopause started.

Based on the experiences of my sister, mother, and various aunts, I had expected to experience the full gamut of menopause symptoms, knew I would have to tough it out because I wasn't prepared to add to the demand for premarin, and then it surprised me by just happening so completely unnoticeably.

I don't know whether there are any studies on the effects of eating soy products on menopause. I do know that soy contains elements that mimic female hormones, so I figured that my regular cravings for tofu and soymilk and my satisfying those cravings may have had something to do with it.
So, how long before you went through it did you give up dairy? I don't eat much soy and still eat some dairy...mainly cheese. When did your sister?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Julz-This website looks pretty informative.... Think I might be in the early peri stages too (turned 48 last month). The only things I notice so far is that my breasts ache for longer than normal PMS symptoms, I'm "regular" (which I have never been-always very irregular until about the past year) and my skin is drier than normal but I do live in the desert which doesn't help. Other than that no symptoms.

I know both my sisters (who are 7 and 10 years older) and my Mum went through difficult times with "the change". The sisters ended up on Prozac and my Mum in the hospital because she became severely anemic (she had really heavy bleeding from what I can remember-I was 13).

http://www.perimenopausesymptoms.org/

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
My mother is supposedly going through this stage in her development and its turned her into a (more than usual) psychotic bipolar ***** -monster. And she gets hot flashes.
She's been taking flax seed supplements and thinks they help.

(She's an omni BTW)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Julz-This website looks pretty informative.... Think I might be in the early peri stages too (turned 48 last month). The only things I notice so far is that my breasts ache for longer than normal PMS symptoms, I'm "regular" (which I have never been-always very irregular until about the past year) and my skin is drier than normal but I do live in the desert which doesn't help. Other than that no symptoms.

I know both my sisters (who are 7 and 10 years older) and my Mum went through difficult times with "the change". The sisters ended up on Prozac and my Mum in the hospital because she became severely anemic (she had really heavy bleeding from what I can remember-I was 13).

http://www.perimenopausesymptoms.org/
This website was very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

My mother is supposedly going through this stage in her development and its turned her into a (more than usual) psychotic bipolar ***** -monster. And she gets hot flashes.
She's been taking flax seed supplements and thinks they help.

(She's an omni BTW)
I haven't been moody or anything...well, maybe tearier than usual. I am hoping that I won't have to deal with that part of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts