VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the thread about Russell Brand going vegan and watching the interview with Ellen, he mentioned he has been off drugs for 8 years. Good for him and I don't mean anything I am about to say against him personally.

I have always wondered how it is possible for anyone who proclaims they used to do drugs are not reprimanded by the law. If the police catch you on drugs or possessing drugs, you will get jail time. But admitting to committing this criminal activity is ignored. I just wonder why that is...

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I'm no expert on US drug laws, but I think they can only charge you for being in possession of a controlled substance or being intoxicated from one. Otherwise there's no evidence with which to convict someone, a person who's talking about doing a drug years before could just be lying for all they know.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
They have to bust you with paraphernalia and/or in possession. Depending on laws where you are charged with how much you are caught holding will determine the fine and/or jail sentence.

However, if you use drugs on film, I am pretty sure you could still get in trouble for it.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

They have to bust you with paraphernalia and/or in possession. Depending on laws where you are charged with how much you are caught holding will determine the fine and/or jail sentence.

However, if you use drugs on film, I am pretty sure you could still get in trouble for it.
This is what always boggled my mind because they frequently show people doing drugs on shows like A&E's Intervention for example. How is that even legal? They have even shown people shooting up with heroin or smoking crack with their children/babies right next to them!!

How the hell are they able to get away with that?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
In this country at least it isn't against the law to take drugs. It's against the law to possess them, produce them, sell them or give them to someone else.

As another example I was watching Border Control the other day, which is a 'reality' show set in an airport. It's not staged or acted, it's a film crew walking around filming things that come through customs and are investigated. One bloke came in from America who was high on cocaine. There were no drugs on him and he started talking more sensibly as time went on so they let him go. He hadn't broken any laws.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Warewolf girl makes a good point about having to have proof. But remember that concert where Amy Winehouse was so messed up she couldn't even sing? That's not only being high/drunk in public, but it was videotaped. That's proof, but I don't think she got in trouble for it.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

In this country at least it isn't against the law to take drugs. It's against the law to possess them, produce them, sell them or give them to someone else.
I believe you, but that law is crazy. Having drugs in your system is possessing them.

But I think I can see the point of it: maybe someone drugged you without your knowledge.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
It's not harming anyone though is it? Fair enough, if you're under the influence of illegal drugs and doing something dangerous (such as driving) or if you're selling them you should get in to trouble. But you should be able to put able to put whatever the hell you like into your own body.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I believe you, but that law is crazy. Having drugs in your system is possessing them.
The law is designed to catch and prosecute drug dealers, not the people they sell to. What is the point of filling up already overcrowded prisons with people who do drugs? Is prison going to do anything except introduce them to new and more harmful forms of crime? It's the drug dealers who profit from misery and who are usually involved in even higher levels of criminal activity.

Personally I think the law is very sensible. I am not a fan of drugs, at all, and I don't allow people in my life who take them. But nor do I want to see people who take drugs in prison.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Warewolf girl makes a good point about having to have proof. But remember that concert where Amy Winehouse was so messed up she couldn't even sing? That's not only being high/drunk in public, but it was videotaped. That's proof, but I don't think she got in trouble for it.
She was drunk.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

She was drunk.

Someone acting high could well be under the influence of any number of legal (even prescription) drugs. Or unstable for other health reasons.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
There is also a statute of limitations for most (non violent) crimes, such as drug possession. This varies from state to state, and is typically in the range of 2 years for marijuana and maybe 4 years for more serious drugs. After the time defined in the statute of limitations has passed, you can not be prosecuted for that crime.

·
Banned
841 Posts
I think what the authorities are looking for is actual proof, which can only be obtained by catching the person with the drug on them in person, catching them using the drug in person, or performing a drug test that shows that they're under the drug at that very moment.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I think it's up to the discretion of a DA if they wanted to prosecute or not. There've got to be a number of challenges involved in prosecuting a celebrity for drug use based on a TV confession.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

It's not harming anyone though is it? Fair enough, if you're under the influence of illegal drugs and doing something dangerous (such as driving) or if you're selling them you should get in to trouble. But you should be able to put able to put whatever the hell you like into your own body.
I agree, even though the only drug I consume is legal. If you are not risking anyone else it should not matter.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
kind of good that they don't do it, your prisons are already full with harmless drug offenders, now if they woul add all the people who did drugs in the past, oh man...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts