VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain this has been discussed, but what do you think about a person who says he/she became very ill when he/she stopped eating meat? I heard someone say they are anemic and became seriously sick each time they tried a veg diet, in spite of taking shots, iron pills, following a healthy eating plan and so forth. I'm wondering if this individual is being truthful, or could it actually be possible?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think maybe for a select few it could be true, but that most are probably exaggerating to justify their bad behavior.

·
Registered
212 Posts
No. There is nothing special in flesh that would make those claims true. Some people do become sick after switching diets, but it's not for lack of vitamin or nutrient availability. It's due to food intolerances, poor eating habits, and other problems of ignorance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have aplastic anemic, and I became sick the first time I tried to go vegetarian...and the second time...and the third time...

However, I went lacto vegan 3 weeks ago and I feel better than ever, because I've been doing it right. I take a multi vitamin every morning. I make sure I get plenty of protein and iron in my diet. Most importantly, I eased my way into this. I've been living a gradually more vegan lifestyle for years now. Not only getting rid of non-vegan personal items, but phasing out meat and meat products from my diet, while introducing good substitutes and new, healthy foods.

It wasn't easy, so I can understand how someone with a condition might not want to make the changes, but I'm 99% certain it's convenience and not necessity that keeps them eating meat.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Lacto vegan? Hahahahahahahahahhahahaha.

I think you mean lacto vegetarian, dear.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I tend to go with the 'anything is possible' mindset but I seriously doubt it. As far as this person being truthful, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and say it is probably due to what Jinkies said, "food intolerances, poor eating habits, and other problems of ignorance." I know it's frustrating for some, if not most, vegetarians/vegans to understand, but it isn't always easy for people to make the change. For some it comes really easy, but I think others have to really work at it and it's hard to stick to when you are feeling deprived. For me, the meat part was the easiest. The rest of it takes a lot of willpower.

I knew someone who insisted that her muscles atrophied when she stopped eating meat. I can't imagine the rest of her diet was very good if that really happened. But it does make me wonder, sometimes.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Lacto vegan? Hahahahahahahahahhahahaha.
Be kind!
But yes, lacto-vegetarian.
I was lacto-vegetarian myself for 8 years or so.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Be kind!
But yes, lacto-vegetarian.
I was lacto-vegetarian myself for 8 years or so.
I wasn't trying to be mean. I know it's really difficult to tell tone over the internet.
I really did find it funny, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

I think you mean lacto vegetarian
Whatever. I'm vegan except I still partake in the occasional dairy product. It stops people trying to serve me eggs and honey if I say vegan instead of vegetarian. I'm not hung up on terminology myself.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arruniel View Post

Whatever. I'm vegan except I still partake in the occasional dairy product.
AAAANNNNDDDDD this is why you aren't vegan... sigh.

Sorry, Indian, kibble was nice I have to be mean.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i don't believe them, they are full of ****. yesterday i actually heard some people saying that animal fat is good for heart. qall i could do was roll my eyes

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arruniel View Post

Whatever.
Lacto-vegetarian is not an insult in any way. It's an accurate descriptor of someone who eschews all animal products in his or her diet except for milk. It's awesome that you've given up the other items that a vegan would also give up, but you still won't actually be a vegan until you stop consuming milk.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i don't believe them, they are full of ****. yesterday i actually heard some people saying that animal fat is good for heart. qall i could do was roll my eyes
I feel like this also and I was totally messed up and anemic while I was a meat eater, I have stressed this before on various posts in the passed that in 07 or so I was a heavy meat eater and I had several meals in a week that lead up to my blood work one time and I tested anemic because of woman issues. I am still anemic however not that as bad, as long as I get things like cereal, grains, veggies and other things that has iron in them I am fine.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I'm fairly certain this has been discussed, but what do you think about a person who says he/she became very ill when he/she stopped eating meat? I heard someone say they are anemic and became seriously sick each time they tried a veg diet, in spite of taking shots, iron pills, following a healthy eating plan and so forth. I'm wondering if this individual is being truthful, or could it actually be possible?
I don't believe you can become ill from not eating meat, but this person might have food allergies they didn't know they had, such as a soy allergy. You also might mention that iron is absorbed more easily with a dose of vitamin C, so eat your spinach, kale, and railroad spikes with bell peppers, oranges, and things like that.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
My whole family has a history of anaemia. I spent 4 years of being told that I would get really bad anaemia especially as I don't make any effort to maintain an iron intake.. And I don't supplement or anything...

Went to give blood a few months ago... My iron levels are high!
The nurse found me hilarious because as soon as she said the words "Your iron levels are nice and high so you can donate" I whipped out my phone and asked her if it was OK to text some of my family... So that was a good moment...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My problem is that people are trying to tell me what's making me sick

I just want to slap them after that.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I've noticed that people who say this kind of thing usually had a bad diet before the move to a veggie diet and were barely hanging in there WRT adequate nutrition and probably teetering on the edge of sickness anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Someone told me they were vegetarian for 2 years before they got really anemic and "had to stop." She was like 12 when she gave up meat, so I mostly blame her parents for not helping her out with eating properly.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
they probably didn't eat many leafy green vegetables. or are attempting to justify their behavior towards other animals.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts