Penn & Teller

5K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  Tame 
#1 ·
These are 2 of the most virulent, anti-animal hate-mongers

in the world.

Shun them.

See less See more
#5 ·
The thing that was fundamentally wrong in their PETA episode was their criticism of PETA's euthanasia policies. It takes incomprehensible audacity for anyone who supports or even condones the pet industry to complain about how people try to fix its consequences. It doesn't matter whether they were just trying to point out "internal inconsistency" or not - if you **** things up, you should shut up about people who have to "clean up" after you.

#6 ·
Oh you guys have got to be joking.

Penn & Teller are great. Now I don't agree with some of the things they say, and definetely not a lot of the conclusions they jump to, but their show is really good. Don't just automatically dismiss everyone you disagree with as virulent hate mongers, that's not helpful... listen to what they have to say, and come back at it with a valid arguement why they're wrong, don't just resort to name calling and think that settles it.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

listen to what they have to say, and come back at it with a valid arguement why they're wrong, don't just resort to name calling and think that settles it.
That would be like writing an essay as a response to something written on a public bathroom wall.

#8 ·
Quote:

Penn & Teller are great. Now I don't agree with some of the things they say, and definetely not a lot of the conclusions they jump to, but their show is really good. Don't just automatically dismiss everyone you disagree with as virulent hate mongers, that's not helpful... listen to what they have to say, and come back at it with a valid arguement why they're wrong, don't just resort to name calling and think that settles it.
Right, because I have to answer to you.

Assuming that you're also referring to me, because you said "you guys..."

I can call them losers if I want. I have listened to things they have to say. And I don't need to "argue" that they are losers. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway, though.

#12 ·
I've always gotten a kick out of Penn and Teller, and I respect thier frankness. The only thing that ticked me off was the blatant slap in the face to all vegans/vegetarians. The leather/fur wearing and meat eating were ridiculous and made me lose a lot of respect probably a good 40 or so points. I've always supported animal rights and frequently have disagreed with PETA's tactics (Mainly some of the advertising campaigns). But I dunno, I feel they are doing the same thing is they acuse PETA of, but in reverse instead of don't eat meat, don't wear fur it was do eat meat, do wear fur, And I'm telling you this right here,I don't tell anyone how to live thier lives, and no one will tell me how to live my life

#13 ·
Don't take someone's word for it - watch it yourself.

After watching it, I have mixed feelings. Their presentation is one sided, but all of the ammunition comes directly from PETA. Penn and Teller are usually pretty good with their facts, and I didn't hear a lot of information that struck me as bull****.

It's easy to call Penn and Teller a couple of pricks. Harder to admit that a lot of PETA's actions and philosophies are questionable.

#14 ·
Quote:

There were lots of things about the PETA episode, like all the others, that I just shrugged off because I can tell the difference between when they're actually shedding light on truthful events and when they're completely blowing things out of proportion for dramatic/comedic effect... either way, I know when to laugh and when to be like, "well that was kinda sucky of them, but it was still kinda funny..."

I dunno, maybe that's just me being my not-easily-offended self.

#15 ·
penn and teller are such boners. i'm pretty open minded but their shows are horrible. they are very one sided and when they put someone on the show that could discredit their opinion they will use candid shots or freeze frames of them doing something to make them seem stupid and or crazy. have you seen their show about smoking?? holy (soy) cheese!

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowoutonvinyl View Post

penn and teller are such boners. i'm pretty open minded but their shows are horrible. they are very one sided and when they put someone on the show that could discredit their opinion they will use candid shots or freeze frames of them doing something to make them seem stupid and or crazy. have you seen their show about smoking?? holy (soy) cheese!
What did they say about smoking?

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

The thing that was fundamentally wrong in their PETA episode was their criticism of PETA's euthanasia policies. It takes incomprehensible audacity for anyone who supports or even condones the pet industry to complain about how people try to fix its consequences. It doesn't matter whether they were just trying to point out "internal inconsistency" or not - if you **** things up, you should shut up about people who have to "clean up" after you.
They really make it seem like PETA is sneaking around plucking puppies out of peoples back yards and killing them.
Idiots. OF COURSE some of those poor abused animals NEED to be HUMANELY put down. Sad, but true.

#24 ·
Someone posted a link to the Bull**** Peta show on google video. That is not the whole show at only 15 minutes. This is a 29 minute version which is a little longer than the one that usually appears on tv:

I encourage everyone to watch it. I am not a supporter of Peta (although I do feel that they do some good work), but Penn and Teller's Bull**** is the most one-sided, worst show on television (based on the anti-environmental, anti-recycling and second hand smoke is good for you shows). I guess my biggest problem is that when you call the show "bull ****" everyone listens to what they are saying as if it was the truth.

It seems as though every show I have ever watched the main experts that they use are from the Cato Institute. Their wouldn't happen to be any connection between Penn and the Cato Institute? Hmmm. Penn is a research fellow at the Cato Institute and used to write the "Final Word" column in the Cato magazine, Regulation.

But Penn continually forgets to mention that bias to his audience. The show is nothing but an advertisement for Cato's Libertarian agenda. (Cato gets huge donations from oil and gas companies - hence the anti-environment shows, Philip Morris - hence the second hand smoking show, etc.)

"You want passion and Truth? Ok. Teller and I would personally kill every chimp in the world with our bare hands to save one street junkie with aids."

--Penn. That should tell you everything you need to know about Penn and Teller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.