VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Salmonella is a type of bacteria. It is usually found in poultry, eggs, unprocessed milk and in meat and water. It may also be carried by pets like turtles and birds.
i'm thinking someone in the processing plant bought a pet turtle previously washed in contaminated water to work with them, and it fell into a vat of peanut butter. hopefully they scooped it out and the peanut butter isn't contaminated with turtle poo as well as salmonella.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh my god, this was creepy. I just opened this up and was like *hey isnt that the kind of peanut butter I have right now?* sure enough it has the numbers... And I just had some for breakfast.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starinsky View Post

Oh my god, this was creepy. I just opened this up and was like *hey isnt that the kind of peanut butter I have right now?* sure enough it has the numbers... And I just had some for breakfast.

It makes me wonder how safe ANY kind of food is. I buy my peanut butter from Trader Joe's, but I don't know where they make it. How safe do you think their PB is?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
my mom read about this earlier and checked the peanut butter..it had the same numbers also. the jar was practically empty because my stepfather has been eating it every day for the past couple weeks...he hasnt gotten sick though thank god.

·
Registered
1 Posts
....I once ate some peanut butter in 1983 (!) when I was visiting Ibiza/Formentera and it was smooth and made from unroasted peanuts. It was divine! I have searched the world and the internet since then for some and cannot find any anywhere...any ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think like many things in life, you take your chances. I only buy my pb and almond butter at Whole Foods but it is pricey. Maybe I'm fooling myself but I figure with their philosophy, it should be "safer".

julesbaby, have you tried the Whole Food nut butters? Maybe it would be close to what you remember.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

No spinach, no green onions, no peanut butter, is anything safe?
apparently not, i got a VERY bad case of the stomach flu a couple weeks ago. the doctors thought it was e coli until the tests came back negative

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had seen the salmonella warning about the PB and found out mine had the same numbers, and my son and I had eaten some last night! Now we both have sick stomachs! I have been cursing Peter Pan this entire day!!!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post

I think like many things in life, you take your chances. I only buy my pb and almond butter at Whole Foods but it is pricey. Maybe I'm fooling myself but I figure with their philosophy, it should be "safer".

julesbaby, have you tried the Whole Food nut butters? Maybe it would be close to what you remember.
What philosophy do they have that would make the pb safer?

·
Registered
333 Posts
You could heat your PB if you're worried...in principle.

My guess is that an asymptomatic carrier was working in the processing plant.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that many people on the boards eat Peter Pan pb. I think the all-natural peanut butter tastes better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i think the all natural peanut butter tastes best too. i dont like the peter pan types.

i buy the trader joe's or the Teddie ( depends on where i am shopping ).......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Healthiest I could find was the Peter Pan no sugar added last I went shopping.

Thanks for the post about this by the way... else I wouldn't have known to dispose of it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't buy Peter Pan because of the taste. I stick to Jif. But before I came here, I had never even heard of "natural" peanut butter, so I may have to try it.

--Fromper

1 - 20 of 32 Posts