VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_experience

Quote:
Peak experience is a term used to describe certain extra-personal and ecstatic states, particularly ones tinged with themes of unification, harmonization and interconnectedness. Participants characterize these experiences, and the revelations imparted therein, as possessing an ineffably mystical (or overtly religious) quality or essence.
Quote:
Psychologist Abraham Maslow defined lengthy, wilfully induced peak experiences (plateau experiences) as a characteristic of the self-actualized.
Anyone have a peak experience?

What were you doing? What was it like?

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes i have, on several occasions in my past. i won't go into detail about how these experiences came to be, but i will say that i was filled with complete love and compassion for all and felt completely at peace with myself and with the world. basically, everything felt like it was going to be ok. it's the best feeling i've ever experienced.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Same as tricia (can't go into the details of how). I spent a good two years in continual revelation lol. I was oohing and ahhing all the time. Life was grand! Sadly tho, as I've grown older I'm watching myself lose much that was gained. One steadfast gift has been the ability to recognize that my values/beliefs/understanding cannot be generalized outside a small part of my mind...even if I can't always employ the awareness. It's kind of like a watchful eye that calls me home when my own self-involvement gets to big for its breeches.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes. Without the aid of drugs, too.

The past few years I've had these experiences a few times a year for a few days to a week at a time.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

well... really. isn't that kind of a common experience on ("completely legal" drugs not disclosed)?
Ahh, i think it depends on the person.

eta: and i believe in many cases, maybe all, that whatever experience is an amplification of the user anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm especially interested in how others came to have peak experiences (other than drug-induced). Mine have spontaneously arisen mostly on walks, following some meditation (such as earlier on that day) and practicing mindfulness, and very often with practice of some sort of art or aesthetic appreciation, for ex. mentally composing music, or looking at the visual beauty of nature with view to communicate it via visual art or music. My experiences have been like those described above, but with a strong awareness of the beauty of everything, and of course very much in the present moment. There has also been a notable absence of negative emotions, especially evident by my continued feelings of peace and understanding when others have behaved towards me in such a way which at other times usually does cause me to feel negative emotions.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Kind of, while under hypnosis from a super-cool computer program I have that induces hypnosis, and from listening to an absolutely GORGEOUS serene CD. Probably not as intense as one's experience with deep meditation/entheogens, but it's the closest I ever got to feeling such a way.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Yes, without the aid of drugs. Only a few times and they were generally spontaneous. One of these experiences profoundly changed my life in a very deep way. I'd rather not go into it but I can honestly say it was a moment of enlightenment. It felt just like that, someone had thrown a switch in my mind and my soul and lit up places I never knew existed and left me a changed person. I'm really hesitant to speak more about it here as I very much dislike disussing religion on these boards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, at a 3 day Gay Pride festival a few years ago (I'm not gay, but my best friends at the time were, so we went). I felt completly at peace with myself and where I was, and I had a great sense of interconectedness. I remember that I had to get up and dance because I couldn't contain how happy and joyous I felt. No drugs involved, and only very minor ammounts of alcohol.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I have had several of them, usually when I was dancing at a rave, but also I've had them out walking in nature, doing yoga, meditation and while I was praying. During some of the raves I was using chemicals to alter my state of consciousness, but for all the other times, I was stone cold sober.

Each time, I was keenly aware that everyone and everything around me was made up of divine energy and it was all connected in a way that I couldn't see before.As I danced my movements were unconscious, but fluid and every move I made was also being made by the universe. I felt love and joy and peace all coursing through me, and I felt expansive- because everything is connected, I felt like I was everything and everything was me, and that everything was all right. The divine energy was tangibly felt as love.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiyin View Post

I'm especially interested in how others came to have peak experiences (other than drug-induced).
Listening to music in the absence of other stimuli is the only other way I've achieved a peak experience. Being in the woods and taking in the surroundings is similar, but not entirely there. Some music just does it for me.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Noone's mentioned *cough* sex *cough* yet?

Just saying ...!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Noone's mentioned *cough* sex *cough* yet?

Just saying ...!

Drugs were a part of my life until about 3 years ago...I now feel that any "peak experience" I've ever had then was fake....

Sex could possibly be the only naturally occurring instance I can think of....although it's been ages...:p

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is going to sound weird, but I kind of had one the other day when I was hanging out some clothes to dry in the back yard. It was a beautiful day and the wind was blowing slightly and making the leaves on the trees russle and it gave me this moment of total happiness with my life and gratitude for being healthy and alive. That was really cool to experience that right in the middle of doing something as mundane as washing clothes

1 - 20 of 30 Posts