VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
About 16% of our gross household income goes toward rent. Currently my husband and I are saving money and planning to buy a house next summer.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
It's just that I was bartending before, so 95% of my income was tips, and that doesn't count. So I get to rake in 55% of minimum wage, AND get that taxed. SWEET DEAL!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yeah, I'm on a government project getting minimum wage, which is only 7$/h in New Brunswick, and it's ending soon. So EI benefits for me soon.

But I took the project so I would get help paying for College tuition in September. The EI will pay half of my tuition and all of my materials.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Nice! I'm in Nova Scotia... my minimum wage was.... 6.90, I think. Cool. EI is poopy unless you were making a decent amount to begin with. (although I would be completely f'd without it.)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It was 6.70 here in 2006, and went up .30 on Jan 1st. I really thought we had the lowest minimun wage in Canada.

And yeah I agree with EI being poopy, but it gets us out of a bind I guess. That's why I'm finally going to college. I'm absolutely fed up of depending on government help. (although I'll be getting help for tuition.. :p ) I didn't go before because I had a baby at 17...kinda put my plans on hold you might say...lol

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
around 20% before taxes, I live with roommates so my bills are split 4 ways, which is nice. Right now I'm in the position to put several hundred towards oldish credit card debt monthly (which is pretty much gone now) and then after that it will go towards savings.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

The minimum wage for people who make tips is lower. Yup.
Really? It's the same for everyone here, regardless of tip situation. I used to make tips working at Tim Horton's. I still got the same minimum as everyone else.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I don't think Tim's counts, as you're not really supposed to get tips there. But if you are a waiter or a bartender, you get less. I grew up in NB, and it is the same there. Sucks. That's why waiters are unhappy when people don't tip. They make less than minimum wage, AND they get taxed on their tips. So if someone doesn't tip, the server is essentially paying the gov't to be serving them. Bah.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
23% of my gross income goes towards rent.

For a city like Calgary, that is downright fantastic, especially since I live alone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts