VeggieBoards banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think a friend is bringing me a packet of vegetarian marshmallows over Monday. I get to have marshmallows as a vegetarian. :)

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I think a friend is bringing me a packet of vegetarian marshmallows over Monday. I get to have marshmallows as a vegetarian. :)
They do not taste exactly the same as the marshmallows you are used to. The texture is a little different, just so you know. They are still sweet white mushy lumps of sugar for you though.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
We pay more for a lot of things. If you order something in a restaurant and ask them to leave out the cheese and chicken, you'll still pay the same amount.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Easy on the candy lol! You need to be learning how to eat and cook vegetarian, so you can cook and eat foods you enjoy that are not 96% sugar. Candy is fun, I admit, but you need some nutrition.

I can't tell you what is a better value because it's in pounds or Euros or something fooooooreign.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Easy on the candy lol! You need to be learning how to eat and cook vegetarian, so you can cook and eat foods you enjoy that are not 96% sugar. Candy is fun, I admit, but you need some nutrition.

I can't tell you what is a better value because it's in pounds or Euros or something fooooooreign.
Ah. Can I buy vegan marshmallows in Spain? Are you from the US?

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Ah. Can I buy vegan marshmallows in Spain? Are you from the US?
I don't know about Spain and the marshmallow situation there. I am from the US, and veg marshmallows are more expensive than the kind with animal parts.

I thought you only ate marshmallows occasionally.

I really hope you aren't trolling. A lot of nice people are trying to help you learn, but you just keep talking about candy. If you live on veg candy, you will get sick. You need to eat something with some nutrition. Every day.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Liquinn, there are lots of good responses here, but I think Mojo really nails it:
It has very little to do with financial savings on a missing ingredient.

Companies that manufacture veganized specialty foods are almost always very small. A lot of them are family businesses that are doing it, at least in part, because they are promoting their values. Because they're small, they may only offer a handful of products. Gigantic manufacturers like General Mills, Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra, etc, can offer their foods much cheaper because they can buy their raw materials in bulk at lower prices, or they own farms around the world where the raw materials are grown. This is rarely the case with producers of vegan specialty foods. Also, offering massive quantities of products like the big companies do gives them additional savings on distribution.
Case in point: "Just Mayo" vegan mayonnaise. It tastes great- just as good as Hellman's Regular!- but costs about 20% more, which really isn't bad at all, mayonnaise being another one of those things (like marshmallows) that isn't healthy to eat in large quantities. It's produced by a small company that would have a hard time competing with a nationally-known brand that's been around since the 1950s.

Reactions: Purp

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Liquinn, there are lots of good responses here, but I think Mojo really nails it:
Case in point: "Just Mayo" vegan mayonnaise. It tastes great- just as good as Hellman's Regular!- but costs about 20% more, which really isn't bad at all, mayonnaise being another one of those things (like marshmallows) that isn't healthy to eat in large quantities. It's produced by a small company that would have a hard time competing with a nationally-known brand that's been around since the 1950s.
I think there's more ingredients in the vegan ones than the non-vegan ones. =]

·
3,936 Posts
back in 2000, I used to get sweets from the pick and mix...I was oblivious to the prevalence of gelatine in sweets.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts