VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why should I pay more for sweets when a non vegetarian can get marshmallows cheaper (with gelatine)? This doesn't seem fair.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
Plenty of things aren't "fair" in life. Most vegan specialty junk foods cost more. If your on a budget stick to whole foods (which are better for you anyways).

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plenty of things aren't "fair" in life. Most vegan specialty junk foods cost more. If your on a budget stick to whole foods (which are better for you anyways).
A friend of mine is bringing veggie marshmallows over Monday - it'll be nice to have them without any animal products in. :)

·
an irregular
151 Posts
how many marshmallows are you eating that paying slightly more is that much of a concern? why did you start another thread about how expensive candy is half an hour after commenting on your other thread about how expensive candy is?

reading some of your threads, they seem to be starting to rub some forum members the wrong way with constantly posting these stream of consciousness threads, maybe just have one thread that you can post your on going questions, concerns, meal plans, etc in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We live in a world where eating animals and animal products is the accepted way of life. Products designed specifically for vegetarians have a smaller market and have to charge more to make a profit. It's simple supply and demand.

Our principles always demand something from us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be principles, just opinions. It may not be fair, but in the grand scheme of things, to you it's a marshmallow, to the animal it's their whole, precious life.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We live in a world where eating animals and animal products is the accepted way of life. Products designed specifically for vegetarians have a smaller market and have to charge more to make a profit. It's simple supply and demand.

Our principles always demand something from us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be principles, just opinions. It may not be fair, but in the grand scheme of things, to you it's a marshmallow, to the animal it's their whole, precious life.
True. A meat eater can always eat vegetarian food if he/she wants.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Intro to the "Life is not fair" concept: Life is not fair. It has never been fair, and never will be "fair" to the extent that fairness is an entirely subjective concept which purports to establish a sense of justice to all of life's woes. As long as there are woes, there will be unfairness.

Example: It seems unfair that I have to wait another year or two for the next "Harrow County" installment. But alas, the writer/illustrator finds it equally unfair that they have to keep their artistic abilities to such dread as a deadline.

And so it goes.

I do not even think this has anything to do with the fact that they're vegan or vegetarian, it's just the price the company determined marshmallow hungry masses find acceptable to pay for. Thusly, not enough people find that price point unfair. It applies to other gourmet items as well. I think it's unfair I have to pay $7.00 for delicious as **** fig jam.

But if you want the jam or the dandies, thems the breaks.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Intro to the "Life is not fair" concept: Life is not fair. It has never been fair, and never will be "fair" to the extent that fairness is an entirely subjective concept which purports to establish a sense of justice to all of life's woes. As long as there are woes, there will be unfairness.

Example: It seems unfair that I have to wait another year or two for the next "Harrow County" installment. But alas, the writer/illustrator finds it equally unfair that they have to keep their artistic abilities to such dread as a deadline.

And so it goes.

I do not even think this has anything to do with the fact that they're vegan or vegetarian, it's just the price the company determined marshmallow hungry masses find acceptable to pay for. Thusly, not enough people find that price point unfair. It applies to other gourmet items as well. I think it's unfair I have to pay $7.00 for delicious as **** fig jam.

But if you want the jam or the dandies, thems the breaks.
Only one ingredient without?

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
if you eat eggs some marshmallow fluffs/creme are made with egg whites- no gelatin

As much as I like marshmallow I've never cared enough to try vegan ones.

Things like dark chocolate are worth paying more, not so much because they're vegan, but fair trade ethically sourced. It's the price they should cost.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Only one ingredient without?
It has very little to do with financial savings on a missing ingredient.

Companies that manufacture veganized specialty foods are almost always very small. A lot of them are family businesses that are doing it, at least in part, because they are promoting their values. Because they're small, they may only offer a handful of products. Gigantic manufacturers like General Mills, Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra, etc, can offer their foods much cheaper because they can buy their raw materials in bulk at lower prices, or they own farms around the world where the raw materials are grown. This is rarely the case with producers of vegan specialty foods. Also, offering massive quantities of products like the big companies do gives them additional savings on distribution.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
If you think it is unfair to have to spend more money on plant based food, imagine how unfair it must be to the animals who spend a lifetime in cages, chained, beaten, starved, overstuffed, prodded, castrated, impregnated, tail docked, branded, and have to watch other animals just like them get slaughtered in the line just before the same thing happens to them.

·
3,936 Posts
I suddenly wanted marshmallows a few years ago, so I got some of Amazon...hardly ever got them in the past. I once got some in the 90s and I looked on the ingredients and was surprised at the beef gelatine in the...I just had this idea that in this modern age they would use synthetic ingredients....I gave them to my friend.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts