VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's shack up with a drug company, but lawd forbid she changes her eating habits...

Quote:
Paula Deen confirms that she has type 2 diabetes, unveils partnership with drug company
Southern celebrity chef Paula Deen appeared on the Today Show with Al Roker this morning to address rumors that she has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Deen confirmed, "I was diagnosed three years ago during a regular physical exam with my doctor, that I had type 2 diabetes. I am here today to let the world know that it is not a death sentence. I am working with a very reputable pharmaceutical company. I'm working on a new program called 'Diabetes in a New Light.' You can go to our website. I'm going to be there for you and help you manage every day of your life with this, because it can be done."
The chef, who has come under fire in recent years for the unhealthy nature of many of her recipes, also announced that she is working as a paid spokesperson for the drug company Novo Nordisk, which manufactures Victoza - an injectable, non-insulin drug used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/01/17/...-drug-company/

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I should be laughing, yet I can't.

·
Registered
642 Posts
While it's sad news to hear that anyone has been diagnosed with a medical problem, I can't bring myself to feel too badly for her. I can never wrap my mind around the idea of ignoring an obvious problem (such as a bad diet) and turning instantly to drugs as if they're some silver bullet.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Did not know about the drug thing, but I did hear last year at some point that she had it.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I watched her interview this morning and I've been hearing about this for several days now.

Although it's disappointing about her endorsement of th edrug company and obviously we all knew it was only a matter of time before this would happen, I do feel sorry for her. I can't adopt the "well you brought it on yourself" attitude when I hear about omnis with bad diets getting sick or dying. My family, my friends, my loved ones are omnis and some of them have crappy diets (as do some veg*ns I know) but I still feel compassion for them when they have health problems.

Yes I know this is very unpopular opinion.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
This hits very close to home. Both of my parents have diabetes and rely on medications, rather than changing their diets.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Someone should recommend Forks Over Knives to her.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
"Deen deflected criticism of her fat and sugar-centric cooking, saying that on her show, she preaches a message of moderation and has not had to change the way she eats because she follows that directive herself."

That's the problem with "moderation"!

I saw a bit of her on Dr. Oz, she's also a longtime smoker. I thought it was going to be a revelation about her changing her ways, but it was- nothing.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

"Deen deflected criticism of her fat and sugar-centric cooking, saying that on her show, she preaches a message of moderation and has not had to change the way she eats because she follows that directive herself."

That's the problem with "moderation"!

I saw a bit of her on Dr. Oz, she's also a longtime smoker. I thought it was going to be a revelation about her changing her ways, but it was- nothing.
Yeah, that one line is especially ridiculous. Especially since in the paragraph before that quote she acknowledges diet is a factor.

And yet she won't change the way she eats because she practices moderation? I guess that's why she's soooooo fit and healthy, her diabetes couldn't possibly have anything to do with all the fat and sugar she consumes on a daily basis

·
3,936 Posts
I'm on Victoza...it's quite good; it has reduced my blood sugar, and one of its effects is supposed to be to reduce your appetite, by slowing down digestion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it's very sad that she will most likely just promote using drugs to control it while blaming age and heredity and only mention diet as an afterthought. At least her son seems to promote healthier foods.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Soooo, I found this on reddit. Here's Paual Deen's idea of a healthy low fat lasagna: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/459872.../#.TxdD0yOH2Jg

It's just a list of cheeses and then a bunch of meat! Someone needs to introduce this poor woman to fruits and vegetables.
Man, I sure as hell don't want to put Paula Deen in my lasagna.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Man, I sure as hell don't want to put Paula Deen in my lasagna.
I know, right?! Apparently she moonlights as a condiment, I guess all that butter has given her a lot of flavour over the years.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:

I know, right?! Apparently she moonlights as a condiment, I guess all that butter has given her a lot of flavour over the years.
Either that or her sweat is butter.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Either that or her sweat is butter.
Wow, now that's an image. You just made me picture her squeezing out her sweat rag into bottles and selling it to people. Mmmm, sweet sweet sweat butter

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Hey, I finally loved the comments!
Just glad people are seeing right through this, and are concerned about diet.

Lets hear more from Alton Brown!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
SO she was diagnosed with this three years ago but is just talking about it publicly now? Seems like she was just waiting for a way to cash in on the situation...

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:

Wow, now that's an image. You just made me picture her squeezing out her sweat rag into bottles and selling it to people. Mmmm, sweet sweet sweat butter
Ok, eww, now I'm picturing that.

It's absolutely hilarious that it says that, though. But shouldn't it be 3/4 teaspoon Paula Deen instead of 1/2 teaspoon Paula Deen and 1/4 teaspoon Paula Deen? It doesn't seem very productive to measure her out (or squeeze, or wring ewwww) twice when you can just do that once.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts