VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed his last tour, but this time I got a ticket to see him at Yankee Stadium this month. Is anyone else going to one of his tour dates? If you want to but haven't gotten a ticket yet, keep your ears and eyes open- he's announcing new dates every now and then. He's starting the North American leg of his tour about now, but I don't know how long he'll be on tour this time.

I guess he's doing a lot of the Beatles, but his more recent work can be good too- I gave "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" (released only a few years ago) a listen, and liked it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I would love to see him in concert, if he ever came here.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
My brother saw him recently in Vegas. I would LOVE to see him, but tickets sell out too quickly and I've been too poor lately. I have seen The Fab Four 3 times, they are amazing.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know that last night was the opening concert for the North American leg of his tour, but Sir Paul can still rock! The stage setup included that "jumbotron"(?) which gives a large-screen display of what's going on onstage. He played a lot of Beatles, but didn't neglect his "Wings" period- and there were a few songs with which I was not familiar that may have been his more recent material.

There were a few surprises too:

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Paul started performing "Something" with just a ukelele, but after a minute or two, his band joined in for a more familiar rendition. He also performed "The Night Before", from his early Beatles days (the movie "Help!"), which evidently he's never done live until last night.[/SPOILER]

Anyway, the weather was perfect. I was seated on the west side, and as the concert started, a golden full moon was just rising. The concert started a half-hour late for some reason, but he went for pretty much a full 3 hours with no break!! The crowd loved every minute, singing along with almost every song. The traffic jam going home was a beast- I didn't get home until the sun was rising.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^Aw, I hope you get to see him sometime. Failing that, I think there are some videos around, such as one of his performance in Red Square.

Does anyone want me to post a more detailed description of the concert? I'm writing it down anyway....

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's what I remember of the playlist:

The Long And Winding Road
All My Lovin' (I think he played this one...)
If I Fell In Love With You (Ditto. I've heard these songs so many times I almost can't say whether I remember hearing them that night, or on the radio recently...)
Get Back
Back In The USSR (before this song, Paul mentioned that he found out early on that the Beatles had quite a few fans in the Soviet Union- and this was before the end of the Cold War. He had often dreamed of playing this song IN Russia.)
Eleanor Rigby
Jet
Let 'Em In (or is the title "Someone's Knocking At The Door"?... I always get song lyrics or titles messed up...)
A Day In The Life
Hey Jude (Paul had the crowd singing along for this one, first everyone, then the guys, then the women, then everyone together again... "Naaaaaa Naaa Naaa NA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAAAAA..."
He and his band covered Jimi Hendrix' "Foxy Lady", believe it or not!!! He told a story about how Hendrix would often cover The Beatles' hits when they were released.
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Daytripper
Lady Madonna (As I remember, this song was accompanied by short videos and photos of famous women from Marilyn Monroe to Mother Teresa, but this might have been another song they played that night...)
He explained "Blackbird" was written in support of the Civil Rights movement before he played it.
Yesterday
Band On The Run
Junior's Farm (I hadn't heard this one before)
"Live And Let Die" came toward the end, with fireworks. He ended the second encore, and the night, with "Let It Be" and the final medley from "Abbey Road": Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Early on, he joked "So, who's this Derek Jeter?... I'm told he has more hits than I do?..."

But speaking of getting song lyrics wrong, I still don't understand what "Jet" is about. "and Jet, I thought the major was a lady suffragette..." That's what I thought the lyrics were, but I still can't make sense of them. And The Beatles songs usually aren't that hard to figure out- the meaning is pretty clear. Google time...

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

He ended the second encore, and the night, with "Let It Be" and the final medley from "Abbey Road": Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles' album, overall. I especially love that medley at the end.

Did he do any of his more recent songs? I'm quite fond of "Dance Tonight". I just love it when he plays the mandolin or ukulele! It's a lovely tribute to George, in my mind.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reneeannem, I don't remember that song. There were two scrolling marquees on either side of the stage which displayed the lyrics of whatever song was being performed after a time delay (along with other things such as "Applause", or whatever Paul was saying to the audience in between songs); he might have performed it.

Somewhere on-line there's a review of the concert he did the next night, along with a playlist of what he performed. As I remember, it was similar to what I heard, although Billy Joel got onstage with them all that night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts