VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in australia btw, and the only whole grain pastas are made by the san remo company here. They make WHOLE GRAIN pasta and WHOLE WHEAT pasta. The whole grain one is normal golden/amber colour like normal pasta from 100% durum wheat, but its darker of course cause its wholegrain. But the whole wheat one is dark brown in colour.

So now my question is.. is there a difference? which ones better for you? it says on both packages that it's from 100% durum wheat, but the whole wheat one isn't yellow/dark amber , is it really from durum then like what thwty claim?

They both contain approx the same amount of fibre, although the wholewheat one has a bit more calories.

Otherwise (apart from colour) I can't tell whats different from the two versions.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I think, but am not 100% sure (it's a little confusing) that whole grain is better than whole wheat. Whole grain includes the bran, germ and endosperm. Whole wheat products generally do not. I did a google search and this is pretty much what I came up with. I think I also remember hearing on Oprah that whole grain is better than whole wheat.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Whoa, I always thought they were the same thing!
Cause if you're using the *whole* wheat berry, that means you should be using the whole grain! That's how it is here in Brazil, at least. They usually say whole grain when the product is made from whole grains other than wheat (barley, oats, millet, quinoa, etc.). Thanks for the info, Karen!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I wonder if it says whole grain cause it's DURUM wheat, though.

Edit: From Wikipedia: "Whole grain products can be identified by the ingredient list. Typically if the ingredient lists "whole wheat", "rolled oats", or "whole corn" as the first ingredient, the product is a whole grain food item."

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
iirc, in Australia "whole wheat" is made from refined (white) wheat flour, with some of the bran added back in. Whole grain (wholemeal) means that it is actually made from the kernel of the wheat - bran & germ included. The difference confused me for a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, sorry - i mean we still call it wholemeal here- but i wrote"whole wheat" just so everyone else wwould understand cause some might be unfamiliar w/ the word wholemeal, just in case

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
hi hon
im an aussie too,

san remo wholegrain uses the whole grain, vitamins and all.

whole wheat is (in this brand's case, at least) referring to the fact that its just 100% durum.

i always buy the yummy brown wholegrain kind, and when i feel like spending big i buy spelt pasta, because i think it tastes better!! hope ive helped a bit

xoxoxo

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

and if you're in melb, you should check out the new organic supermarket opposite flinders station. near degraves.

and IN degraves, a cafe called TOFWD. its mainly vegan stuff, sugar free, natural, organic..DELICIOUS!!

xoxoxo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.