VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I want to become a veggie, but there is one more problem standing in the way to become one. I have to convince my parents that I want to become vegetarian. How did you tell/convince your parents?

Thx

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well, why do you want to be a vegetarian? Animals? Explain how the animals are harmed, or why you don't want to hurt living creatures anymore. Health? Explain the benefits you see. Make sure you explain how you'll help, ie: cooking, shopping. Don't make it a burden, and don't get angry. Try to see if you can persuade them to see it your way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm going to try tonight is showing them a pdf-file I printed (a parent and teenager guide to vegetarianism). Do you think it's a good idea, or should I try talking to them first? (I never talked about vegetarianism to them before)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I went to the store with my mom and bought Boca burgers, Morningstar Chik'n Nuggets, veggie lasagna, etc. so that when my mom makes a meat dish for dinner, my mom (or I) can heat up an option for me.

I know she was stressing out about how much of a burden it would be to have to make extra meals for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Also, make sure you've read up on nutrition (or it's in the handout you're showing your parents) because a lot of parents are concerned that you won't get enough protein and vitamins if you cut meat out of your diet.

Make sure you know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did it

My parents weren't home when I went to sleep last night, so I left the pages I printed on the table where they could see them, and I left a note with them. This morning my mom asked me some more about it, she laughs at it, but I'll think I'll manage to convince her

Thx for the tips

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
As mentioned above, many parents stress over two things: Are you going to get enough nutrition? and Is this going to make cooking meals more stressful for them?

It sounds like you have the nutrition part covered with the printed information. Thats awesome that you didn't get a terribly negative reaction or flat-out "NO".

Now show your Mom (or whoever cooks the meals) that you'll make meals LESS stressful by: learning to cook some for yourself and cooking your portion of the meal so your Mom doesn't have to, or going to the store and giving her a few (inexpensive) tips for what you can eat along with the family, or if you can cook already, offering to make meals for EVERYONE once in a while that are vegetarian but something everyone would enjoy (like maybe cheese-and-veggie lasagna or bean-and-cheese enchiladas?)

That'll ease your Mom's mind a lot and may help her take you seriiously.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

As mentioned above, many parents stress over two things: Are you going to get enough nutrition? and Is this going to make cooking meals more stressful for them?

It sounds like you have the nutrition part covered with the printed information. Thats awesome that you didn't get a terribly negative reaction or flat-out "NO".

Now show your Mom (or whoever cooks the meals) that you'll make meals LESS stressful by: learning to cook some for yourself and cooking your portion of the meal so your Mom doesn't have to, or going to the store and giving her a few (inexpensive) tips for what you can eat along with the family, or if you can cook already, offering to make meals for EVERYONE once in a while that are vegetarian but something everyone would enjoy (like maybe cheese-and-veggie lasagna or bean-and-cheese enchiladas?)

That'll ease your Mom's mind a lot and may help her take you seriiously.
I agree. This way, if you are talking about the meals with your mom she is also getting an idea of what you are eating. Processed foods are good, but its better if you can learn to cook for yourself. That way she knows you aren't going to starve when you move out on your own either

·
Registered
897 Posts
hi
Just throwing out one more possible option. If your parents are are open to it, have them pop in here and voice their concerns or just look around.

Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfAllElseFails View Post

Hello

I want to become a veggie, but there is one more problem standing in the way to become one. I have to convince my parents that I want to become vegetarian. How did you tell/convince your parents?

Thx

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
there is a site called calorie king - calorieking.com. It lists the nutritional info for EVERYTHING, so If there is an issue with, say, protein, just go on there, and calculate the protein in any given veggie meal. I bet it'll even surprise you! I did that for my grandmother, who is quite concerned about protein. When I showed her that there was more than my RDI for protein in ONE meal... difficult for her to argue that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you need any recipes for quick snacks or full meals, check this site for the recipe section... another good option would be to google up Vegetarian recipes

I haven't made anything yet, but im planning on it tonight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.