VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Can gut parasites be good for you? It may sound far-fetched. But for those with off-kilter immune systems, scientists are finding hope in some unlikely allies.

The prevalence of asthma, allergies, and a number of autoimmune-related ills - from rheumatoid arthritis to Type I diabetes - has skyrocketed in recent decades, especially in wealthy countries.

<snip>

The culprit, some scientists say, may be a lack of worms. Not the worms that dig in your garden, mind you, but the ones that dwell in your gut.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/...#ixzz1YQOneIS9
Is it vegan to have an animal live off you? lol

Interesting article. I read a story once about a man in the UK who was so debilitated by his allergies he was practically considered disabled. Then he read some study that said a certain type of gut worm has been found to have an inverse relationship with reactions to seasonal allergens.

Naturally, he went to Africa and infected himself with these worms and has been allergy-free ever since and collects baby worms from his own feces to sell online to others who are hoping for the same results he got.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hm. Also, according to the article, a University of Iowa study had 23 of 29 patients who suffered from IBS go into remission after "worm therapy."

Quote:
"Our immune system doesn't have enough to do," so it gets bored and looks for something to fight, Parker said.
Lazy ass immune systems! Like a bored teenager who's got nothing to do so he tears up the house!

As terrible as my spring allergies are and my family history of immune disorders (e.g., eczema, psoriasis, IBS, Crohn's, etc), I'd have to wonder about trying it.

I'm not convinced it wouldn't be considered ethical or 'vegan' if the scientists' theories about it being an evolutionary necessity are true. Plus, it would seem to be a truly symbiotic relationship: the worms get food and shelter and we get a better immune system.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
That is easily the most interesting bit of medical news I've read in ages. Also, ewwwww.... Worm therapy sounds gross

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That is easily the most interesting bit of medical news I've read in ages. Also, ewwwww.... Worm therapy sounds gross
But would you do it if it could cure a chronic ailment from which you suffer?

Would you rent your guts out to a few homeless worms? lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I haven't read the article, but I'm guessing it is about the same guy (Jasper Lawrence) who is in this Radiolab story.
Interesting, and even though I'm allergic to just about everything (I tested allergic or very allergic to 80 out of 81 things in an allergy test), I don't really think I could intentionally give myself hookworm. Blech.
Nope. The article I linked to was about a scientist, who is among a growing number, who believe that various parasites are the key to solving many chronic problems humans suffer from immune disorders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts