VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Paragard IUD. This is the nonhormonal one, not Mirena which has hormones. I am contemplating pushing the tubal ligation issue with my doctor. Two years ago when I went to the doctor, I figured an IUD wouldn't be an option since a lot of doctors are hesitant to give them to women without kids. I went specifically to talk to the doctor about getting my tubes tied. After talking about it, and me making it clear if I ever changed my mind, I have no qualms about adopting, he agreed. When I went to my other doc, whom I affectionately call "my crotch doc," he was very hesitant and didn't want to do the tubal. He offered the IUD. I gladly took it. The IUD has a, I believe, .02% higher sterilization rating than actual sterilization/tubal ligation.

Since my point of wanting my tubes tied is because I knew I didn't want kids and I didn't see the point of pumping my body full of strange chemicals and hormones for years when I already knew this, the offer of a nonhormonal IUD was fine.

Supposedly there are no side effects to the Paragard IUD besides possible rejection which usually occurs within the first 3 months, or possible perforation which usually occurs during insertion. I've now had mine for 2 years without any problems.

However, it is a foreign object, and I know that although they say there are no side effects, I wonder what it's doing to my body. It is a copper IUD, and they really don't know how it works to prevent pregnancy.

In the time that I've had my IUD, I've slowly gained weight & it's almost impossible for me to lose any no matter how much I try. I know it's not due to the IUD itself, as it doesn't have hormones. I just wonder if it's throwing something off in my body that is messing with my metabolism or something else. I should also add that I've had blood tests done to check my thyroid level, my testosterone level, my cortisol level, and my glucose levels, along with a couple other things. All were fine.

In the same vein, I don't know what a tubal ligation would do to my body, either. I know there are different methods (Essure, which promotes scar tissue to block your tubes, snipping/cauterizing, banding/clamping, etc.)

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I should leave my IUD in until it "expires," which is in another 8 years; or if I should have it removed and have the tubal done. If it's really probably not the IUD that's causing my weight issues, then it's going to be a complete waste of time and money having the tubal done. Obviously nobody will know for sure.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with side effects from their tubal ligations or the Paragard IUD. Any details you can tell me would be fantastic, like which kind of tubal you had done.

I didn't put this in the Women's Health thread because I want men to be able to comment on it, too, in case they've ever had a family member or significant other who's had experiences with either.

Holy long post.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I had an IUD for about two months but that was over 30 years ago...it was awful which is why I didn't stick with it.

I know numerous women who have had a tubal ligation. I can try and find out what kind they've had done.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Jess most of the women i know that have had tubals have had the snip cauterization done. I do know one who had this done and she did become pregnant a few years later.

i have heard from some that they experience heavier more painful periods since the tubal, others say no difference.

how old are you? if you are in your 20's that is probably why your doc is hesitant about the tubal, they dont like to do them on women without kids so young, even though you are sure you dont want kids.

i would probably keep the IUD til its expired time then go from there.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, i'll be 25 next month. I know that's why my doctor was hesitant, I was only 22 at the time. I'm sure if I'd pushed it, he'd have agreed, but he offered the IUD, so that was good enough for me.

I just wonder if my body is reacting to the IUD somehow, even though it's nonhormonal and that's why i'm oddly having weight gain and even though I bust my ass at the gym, I can't lose an ounce.

I should talk to my mom about it. She had an IUD before she got knocked up with me, then had her tubes tied after me.

My period is heavier now, but that's all relative. Previously I was on hormonal birth control so yeah, it was lighter and shorter. Now I'm not, so I figure it's just going back to normal.

karen, what kind did you have? the dalkon shield one that caused all the problems & controversy?

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
All I know about the IUD is that my midwife offerd me one (either type my chice) after the birth of my daughter. I went home and researched it, and talked to some people about and decided against it. My friend, Maria, had one after the birth of her son and she is now pregnant with her next child. She didn't express any dissatifaction with her IUD (weight gain etc) until it just didn't do what it was intended to do. I do know that any sort of contraception in not as effective after having children but although she is the only woman I personally know to have gotten pregnant with the IUD I've heard of several other instances of the same. A midwife friend of mine birthed a baby born holding the mother's IUD in it's hand.

I honestly know next to nothing about tubal litigation.

I wish you luck in figuring out what will suit you best.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echowarrior View Post

All I know about the IUD is that my midwife offerd me one (either type my chice) after the birth of my daughter. I went home and researched it, and talked to some people about and decided against it. My friend, Maria, had one after the birth of her son and she is now pregnant with her next child. She didn't express any dissatifaction with her IUD (weight gain etc) until it just didn't do what it was intended to do. I do know that any sort of contraception in not as effective after having children but although she is the only woman I personally know to have gotten pregnant with the IUD I've heard of several other instances of the same. A midwife friend of mine birthed a baby born holding the mother's IUD in it's hand.

I honestly know next to nothing about tubal litigation.

I wish you luck in figuring out what will suit you best.
Hi! I am doing a research paper on Paragard IUDs for school. I wondered what kind of IUDs the people you're talking about had, because there are two different kinds (I believe the OP specified Paragard (nonhormonal) IUD for this reason). Thank you. I will let you know how my teacher grades my paper.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Hi! I am doing a research paper on Paragard IUDs for school. I wondered what kind of IUDs the people you're talking about had, because there are two different kinds (I believe the OP specified Paragard (nonhormonal) IUD for this reason). Thank you. I will let you know how my teacher grades my paper.
I can certainly ask Maria when I see her next and I'll pass that info on to you. Maia (my midwife friend) has moved to Virgina so I'll try my best to get in touch w/ her. I'll pass it on to you when I hear back from my friends.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm curently researching similar stuff - my daughter is 9 weeks old and I need to get on birth control. i was exploring the mirena IUD (with progesterone) as well as the paraguard. I'm a bit nervous about side effects and possible risks so would love to see what other people have to say about IUDs.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have a Mirena IUD and think it's great when compared to using the pill or the patch. When I used the pill and the patch the hormone levels really threw my mood swings out of whack and I gained weight like crazy. So far (I've had it for over a year), I've had no noticeable side effects. The best part though is having fewer periods (about every other month for me) and next to none period pain (though I do cramp up about a week before my period starts--probably during ovulation).

·
Registered
548 Posts
IUD's scare me. I cant take birth control either.

I take my chances with condoms. My body is just too sensitive to be messed with that way.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Closing this thread, since the op is no longer here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.