VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducky (kitten with white feet in my avatar) is now about 4 months old and seems to be in pretty good health except for an umbilical hernia that will be closed up when she is spayed next month. She's got her last set of shots scheduled for next week and shes checked out healthy at her last two appointments.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Today she was kind of hyper and running around so I started throwing some balls for her and getting her to chase one of those feather on a stick toys and she just pants quite loudly the whole time she is playing. She is still active, her color looks good, but it is really worrying me, and when I mentioned it to my roommate she said she had noticed her panting when she picked her up yesterday, after being seemingly inactive. Their regular vet is closed on Sundays so I just need someone to tell me that as long as she is active and her color stays good shes not going to drop dead in the next two min. and I don't need to rush her to an emergency clinic.<br><br><br><br>
I'll call the vet as soon as they open tomorrow and see if they think she can wait for her check up but has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
The only time my cats ever panted was when they were overheated. Just two weeks ago during the heatwave we had they were only outside for 20 minutes when I noticed them panting so I made them come inside to the air conditioned house. I just checked online and read that kittens will pant after playful exertion or because they are dehydrated or overly stressed. It's not good for them to be panting for a long time. You should probably try to get the kitten to rest and relax. You can check her gums to make sure they are not bluish in color because that would probably mean she is not getting enough oxygen. If she seems fine otherwise you can probably wait till the vet opens tomorrow. I just wouldn't have her run around anymore until after you are able to speak with the vet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
She could also have an upper respitory infection. Cats will mouth breathe when their little noses are all stuffed up.<br><br><br><br>
Just re-read: I would really guess that it's a URI. It's like a cold but can develop into pnemonia w/o treatment. But it is a viral infection so he should give you an anti-viral like acyclovir or he many do nothing at all and just let it work itself out. Anti-biotics would be ineffective though.<br><br><br><br>
Have the vet check it out!

·
Registered
284 Posts
at the animal hospital where i work, we are told that if a cat is panting, they need to go straight back to treatment--which means it's considered a serious emergency. if you haven't already been to a vet, i suggest taking her in right away. it may be nothing, but it's better to know for sure. keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts