VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Panera Bread today and getting some Veg. Black Bean Soup and a salad and I noticed this sign at the counter:

"Attention Customers: Please note that the cucumber sauce on our Garden Veggie Ciabatta Sandwich contains gelatin which may not be suitable for some vegetarian diets. We can substitute pesto mayonaise."

I was amazed by this sign because it looked very professionally done and I was impressed that they cared enough about their vegetarian clients to inform them with a big notice. Of course, they could be just trying to avoid a McFries-type lawsuit.

It is annoying though that restaurants have to take an otherwise vegetarian item and sneak in some animal products. Even funnier that they suggest a dairy item as a substitue.

Still, you've got to wonder how many soccer moms are going to see that sign and scratch their head and think "What's inappropriate about gelatin?"

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I also love Panera. I once asked about an ingredient listing, and the manager happily handed over a nice bound notebook with a complete ingredient list of every item they sell. It's one of the very few non-veg restaurants I will go to because I feel I can trust them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Our Panera here is very free with ingrediant information and they let you do a lot of substitutions on the sandwhiches. I recreate the veggie sandwhich ever time I go there and no one bats an eye at me. I also saw that sign and thought that it was very nice of them to be up front with the information.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I happen to love the "Strawberry Poppyseed Salad." I am on the Fuhrman "Eat to Live" diet and it's perfect for that plan (fruits, veggies, nuts and no-fat dressing). I just have them hold the sourdough rolls that go with everything!

Plus with the low-fat black bean soup it is one of the few fast food type things I can eat on my diet.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There's a Panera about 10-15 minutes from where i live but I haven't been there yet...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Attention Customers: Please note that the cucumber sauce on our Garden Veggie Ciabatta Sandwich contains gelatin which may not be suitable for some vegetarian diets. We can substitute pesto mayonaise."

SOME vegetarian diets? All true vegetarians don't eat gelatin. The ones that do either don't know what it is or are not vegetarians.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Now I wish I had money and could afford to make Panera a regular place I patron. Hmmm... do they have Panera in Spain?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.