VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or shrove Tuesday, if you like. Anyway, it's next tues. (March 8th).

Does anyone have a yummy vegan pancake recipe? I'd prefer to not buy a packet mix, because I've always made them from scratch. My (unfortunately) regular dairy and egg ones were a family favourite, and I'd like to prove they can be just as nice without the animal products.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't have a recipe but I like to use a mashed banana in place of eggs. There are a lot of recipes out there for vegan pancakes though, you could have a yummy experiment trying them all out
they are one of the things I found easiest to veganise.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Or shrove Tuesday, if you like. Anyway, it's next tues. (March 8th).

Does anyone have a yummy vegan pancake recipe? I'd prefer to not buy a packet mix, because I've always made them from scratch. My (unfortunately) regular dairy and egg ones were a family favourite, and I'd like to prove they can be just as nice without the animal products.
Just use your old recipe and veganise it

Ground flaxseed mixed with water is really lovely in pancakes as an egg replacer, it's what I prefer. (1 tbsp ground flaxseed to 2 tbsp water per 1 egg)
As far as replacing the dairy, we enjoy unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I meant to celebrate the Russian version of this holiday, Maslenitsa, this year but I'll be out of town and unable to make blini (thin Russian pancakes.) I might just do it a little late.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I found this recipe. It looks easy and simple (READ: Have the ingredients already on hand).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just had pancakes this morning for breakfast! The BEST ones (better than omni ones) is the recipe in Vegan with a Vengance or Vegan Brunch (same recipe). They are seriously wonderful.

1 1/4 all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 to 1 1/4 cups plain rice milk or soy
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Make a well in center and add oil, water, milk, maple syrup, vanilla. Mix just until ingredients are combined.

Pour pancakes one at a time and cook until bubbles for and top looks somewhat dry.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I love Sarah Kramer's banana pecan pancake recipe, it's so easy and really tasty:
In a medium bow, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a blender or food processor, blend the milk, bananas, and vanilla until smooth. Pour into flour mixture and add pecans. Stir together gently until "just mixed". Portion batter onto a hot non-stick pan or a lightly oiled frying pan and cover. Let sit on medium heat until the center starts to bubble and become sturdy. Flip pancakes over and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat process until batter is gone. Makes 2 large or 4 small pancakes.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This is the pancake recipe I use, it's very simple and very versatile - I have cooked them plain and drizzled maple syrup over them, or made spicy vegetable pancakes by adding vegetables like peas, sweetcorn, green beans and spices and leaving out the sugar.

http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-...ancakes-132263

There are numerous comments about the amount of baking powder (the recipe says to use 2 tablespoons) - I always use 2 teaspoons and the pancakes are fine (if you use 2 tablespoons the pancakes have a strong, unpleasant taste in my view).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ive made something similar to the one Angie posted and they were really nice. My mum buys premade microwave pancakes every year (what the hell is the point?) and last year everyone preferred mine haha.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I like to sour the "milk" I use with some ACV, then make sure the dry ingredients include baking soda. (ZOMG SCIENCE!)

I think that helps make the pancakes fluffier and closer to the animal-killing versions which, let's face it, taste outstanding.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had good luck with Bob's Red Mill Mix. It's gluten free and made to work with egg replacer. In fact I find them unbelievably rich.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Just use your old recipe and veganise it

Ground flaxseed mixed with water is really lovely in pancakes as an egg replacer, it's what I prefer. (1 tbsp ground flaxseed to 2 tbsp water per 1 egg)
As far as replacing the dairy, we enjoy unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Yum. I bet it tastes wonderful in pancakes. This is what I'll use next time. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Ooh, I haven't made vegan pancakes in a few weeks. I think I need to get in on the celebration this year. I tend to make mine with WW flour and ground flax. I kinda wish it was the right time of year for zucchini pancakes. Those rock!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

I just had pancakes this morning for breakfast! The BEST ones (better than omni ones) is the recipe in Vegan with a Vengance or Vegan Brunch (same recipe). They are seriously wonderful.

1 1/4 all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 to 1 1/4 cups plain rice milk or soy
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Make a well in center and add oil, water, milk, maple syrup, vanilla. Mix just until ingredients are combined.

Pour pancakes one at a time and cook until bubbles for and top looks somewhat dry.
Think I'll try this one, as I have all the ingredients in and it doesn't contain anything anyone's allergic to (I'm cooking for a group). Is this for the thick, american-style pancakes or the thinner european ones? (I'm assuming the former).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^I made them. They were amazing. Next time, I need to make the mixture a little thicker though; the pancakes were a touch thin. But they were beautiful. I served them with banana and soy whipped cream, apple sauce, maple syrup, and lemon and sugar (not all at once :p). MMMMMMM

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
This is the basic recipe I use:

1 1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cup water/soy/ almond/ hemp/ rice milk
3 Tbsp of Earth Balance, melted

To make it more exciting, I sometimes add in 1 Tbsp of nutmeg, ginger, or both, and one cup of some type of dried berry, usually blueberries.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Being English pancakes to me are the thin kind, and when I'm making basic pancakes I just use flour, oil and soy milk. It works perfectly. If I want more exciting then I like the vegan with a vengeance recipe that was posted.
I had pancakes for lunch with my boyfriend yesterday, then again for dessert after dinner. I consider pancakes well worshipped (since I am not religious pancake day is all about pancake worship to me).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts