VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey vb!

things have been rocketing along . i feel awesome .its brilliant. but today, an interesting conversation with my friend's doctor left me all indecisive again.

brief rundown of mental catastrophe
:

im vegetarian for nonhealth related reasons, but health is certainly a plus.

im as vegan as possible at the moment predominantly for health reasons (because 'happy dairy' is everywhere here. so as open as i may be for criticism, the animal rights issues to do with dairy is not SO much of a problem..for now).

as any vegan will find (i think), grains become a real staple, because you've gotta get those calories from somewhere. grains and 'good fats' are pretty much where its at for me. because i try to avoid sugar (although lately ive been less rigid).

anyway..

so ive got it going, not counting calories, eating what i want, some 'bad stuff' but all whats ok in my view (ie. 'bad stuff' includes sugar..not meat or anything) and am not too phased about all the conflicting views on the most health effective lifestyles because i pretty much figured if i go with wholefood..im ok.

BUT NO..apparently not. APPARENTLY grains..do very bad things . particularly wheat. even wholewheat. and apparently healthwise you're better off with dairy and less grains. i...oh i can't even start explain because i literally panic. because i dont know what to do. especially coz ive found my happy situation, and i don't know if im supposed to change it or what.

i..oh i dont know. head reeling. and i didn't miss that at all

what is the lesser of all these evils then? dairy? grains? sugar? im so confused all over again. seriously. please..please post. because i want to do whats right. minor deviations are fun..but on the whole i want my diet to be GOOD. sigh

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thought id also add, for interest, that one of my oldest relatives is a coeliac and eats sugar AND dairy, but no gluten, and is in BY FAR better shape than anyone else her age i know. it astounds everyone.

i always wrote this off to individual difference, but i was reading through one of her books and it actually mentioned that people with coeliac disease who treat it properly live an average of 5 years longer than people without coeliac disease at all.

...doesn't that mean that life without gluten is somehow betteR??

·
Registered
787 Posts
Grains are necessary. Who told you that they're bad for you? (If you say 'Atkins', I'll claw out my eyes.)

I have heard that high-gluten grains can be bad (they apparently create an acid environment in your digestive system? Meh.), but even if that's what you're concerned about... why not focus on low/non-gluten grains for a bit? (Spelt, rice, quinoa, etc.) Don't listen to the dairy propaganda. So one woman got lucky. You can't tell for sure that she wouldn't be even healthier if she was off dairy... and you don't know how many non-gluten grains she eats?

Don't panic so fast. *hugs*

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
froggy- i haven't read up on it, i think thats what they were talking about is all?

keelin- not atkins, i disregard all the atkins crap . my mum's on it and lives off bacon and cheese, its revolting. its nothing to do with the 'carb' bit i think its more the grain bit, like you said. and yes..i think i might do that. i was told that grains do bad things to you because we're not 'meant' to eat them. but then there was also the gluten stuff. but then there's all the good points for grains. i reread my message last night and realised how panicked i was, then ate spelt pasta...IN YOUR FACE, ANTIGRAINS! eheh. although this morning breakfast was avocado, apples and what not... :/ im not panicked anymore though, ill jsut do the best i can with choices available. i just like to know what's ideal. but if i can't know (which i guess nobody can) then i guess ill just..play it by ear. or something along those lines. i dont know
and you're right, about the dairy . i didn't think of it that way!! thanks!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Paleolithic peoples ate grains ( grass seeds) of various kinds. Some people have sensitivity to or difficulty digesting some grains and some grains (such as wheat) have chemicals which tie up some nutrients in the body, and so should be eaten in moderation. Most things in moderation, a varied diet, is the best diet. Evidence shows at some points in history people ate extremely limited diets (in Europe during some periods people ate almost exclusively bread and cheese, before the potato famine, Irish people ate almost exclusively potatos), obviously these kinds of extremely limited diets are unhealthy.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aa! no purpelle don't!! harpoons are no fun!!

im still EATING the grains, by the way. i was just thinking. thats all.

im eating a very well balanced diet . yes. all good.

and ludi..true. thats what i said when i was hearing about how people 'used ' to eat this and that. so technology has advanced and we can now get to more grains or whatever..who says thats not a beneficial thing?!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Really read up on the philosophy behind something before you believe it.

Yes, a lot of people condemn beans and grains because they are an evoluntionarily recent addition to our diet. What you must remember is that generations of people all over the world have bean- and grain-stapled diets and live long, healthy lives.

I am not saying they are perfect. I am just saying that they do not make everyone sick, and I am not sure they make enough of us sick to warrant their replacement. I honestly think replacing these in a vegetarian diet should be a well-researched decision to be sure that the proteins and minerals they provide are being replaced in the diet.

Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good to hear. you're so wise

while im asking questions (but not worrying, in fact i just went out to lunch)..this isn't going to change what i do, because..well..i love coffee BUT something i don't understand is "coffee is a rich source of magnesium" BUT it also depletes magnesium? so...what the? eheh.

sorry. and im not asking that in a panicky way i SWEAR

·
Registered
787 Posts
From what you said earlier, Taurus, it didn't sound like you were suffering from a gluten allergy... just that you were worried about consuming too many grain products. Are grain products actually causing you problems?

Thanks for clarifying

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.