VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems a bit harsh...<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">A judge sentenced a husband and wife to eight years in jail Monday for supplying alcohol to teenagers at a birthday party for their son.<br><br>
Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 90 days for Elisa Kenty Robinson and George Fisher Robinson of Earlysville. They pleaded guilty to 16 misdemeanor counts of contributing to the delinquency of minors.<br><br>
They were charged in connection with an Aug. 16 party at their home that involved 60 to 80 high school students and $360 worth of beer and wine coolers.<br><br>
The party happened exactly one month after Albemarle High School student Brittany Bishop, 16, was killed in a drunken-driving accident on her way home from another party where underage drinking took place.<br><br>
Albemarle County Judge Dwight D. Johnson noted Brittany's death when handing down the sentence.<br><br>
"This event took place a month after a young lady lost her life," he said. "She wasn't even cold in the ground."<br><br>
Judge Johnson sentenced the Robinsons to six months in jail on each of the 16 counts and ordered that the sentences be served consecutively. He also ordered them taken into custody immediately and set bail at $80,000 for each.<br><br>
Mrs. Robinson's attorney, Francis McQ. Lawrence, asked Judge Johnson to reconsider the high bail while his client appealed the sentence.<br><br>
The judge refused, saying he saw the Robinsons as "a danger to the community."<br></div>
</div>
<br><br><br><a href="http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20030212-24207507.htm" target="_blank">http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro...2-24207507.htm</a>

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
See, here's the thing... Back in high school, we would go to this one guy's house and his old man would buy us booze. The catch was, he took our car keys from us and would return them the next morning after his night-shift as county swat team captain.<br><br><br><br>
I don't think kids should be disallowed booze, but they should be disallowed drivers licenses. And parents like these should do time, but 8 years? I dunno... They obviously weren't just letting Timmy and his buddies have a few of Dad's Buds. "60 to 80" kids????

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Only 16 out of those 60-80 kids were drinking? My, now that seems unlikely.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Unless those 16 counts aren't for 16 kids... are they lumped together?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
8 years is deffinitly excessive. Though max is right 60-80 kids isn't their kid's closest friends, or anything.<br><br><br><br>
I always did feel that 21 was a bit old as a drinking age. My parents would drive friends home who were drunk, call and pay for a cab or let them crash on the couch. You can be drafted and bote but not have a beer with dinner!!??

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I agree it is excessive, but if I were a parent I would be pissed if someone gave my teen alcohol without my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
<a href="http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/cqoped.html" target="_blank">http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/cqoped.html</a><br><br><br><br>
I think the sentence was much too severe. We allow our children to have a glass of wine or two with dinner on holidays, beginning at 13 or so, but I am afraid to give it to their friends. On New Years, one of their friends, a 14-year-old was over and I called his mother to ask if he could have a glass of wine with the rest of us. His mother said "sure" but that is the only time that I've offered alcohol to a child - not my own.<br><br><br><br>
I would hope that another parent would call me, as well.<br><br><br><br>
I also see a HUGE difference in a teen getting drunk and a teen (or anyone) DRIVING drunk.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
seems excessive to me. However, I think the situation would have been better if the party had been smaller (close friends), & everyone who was drinking could have spent the nite. But, 8 years is way too long!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts