VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are in pain, do you think it's better to use non drugs methods of coping or take pain killers?.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I use meditation techniques for minor pain, and if I know I don't have anything important to do I'll wait out any sort of pain at home (unless I just had a tooth pulled or something really painful like that). If I have a bad headache or something similar and I can't afford to sleep it off (which, in college, means any time I get a headache) I'll take a pill.

On the whole, I would prefer not to take drugs. I just don't have enough knowledge on alternatives right now.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Gimme the drugs. Pain can reduce mobility, make you walk wrong, reach wrong, eat wrong, and do plenty of other things that can beget more health problems. The trick is to also address the cause of the pain rather than just cover it up.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
This is kind of hard to answer. I mean, what kind of pain are we talking about here? Does it last a long time? How effective are alternative treatments? Yada yada.

I don't mean to put off the question..it's just that not all pains are equal. Additionally, I think some folks feel pain to differerent degrees.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I only take painkillers when say, I have an Exam or something important. They dont do much good anyway for me 'cause when i was 14-15 i got so many headaches i was going through a pack a week X(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I generally try and tough it out until the last moment. I have a very high pain tolerance from years of back problems and shiatsu massage, leg injuries and broken bones, shots, wisdom teeth removal, and so on. But I'm not against taking it if it's really necessary, I just don't agree with being dependent on these types of medications, because I think the mind and body can work through a lot of pain on its own. And as others have mentioned, if you use it too often then it doesn't have the same effectiveness. I think my pain tolerance has reached such a height that by the time I decide if/when to have a baby, I'm probably just going to be able to pop one out

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
If I have a pulled muscle, bad back, or twisted ankle I take something that is anti-inflammatory so it will actually help reduce swelling and injury. If it is a headache, I usually try not to take anything unless it is interfering with my work or driving or something. People who get lots of headaches can get "hooked" on regular over the counter pain relievers if they take them over time (so that when they stop taking them, the headaches are worse). Plus tylenol is bad for the liver. I avoid using it and use enteric coated aspirin or ibuprofen instead.

But I think there can be advantages as well to taking pain medications. I think some studies have shown that people given adequate pain relief after surgery recover faster. I guess the pain chemicals are actually bad for you. Of course some pain can be reduced naturally, but there is no sense in suffering after you've tried other methods, or if you just can't meditate- you are driving or whatever. I don't think meditation vs. pills should be made into an issue of character or nobility or anything. Each has it's pros and cons.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I rarely take pills for anything. I don't recall the last time I even took a tylenol. Whenever I have minor surgery or anything like that, I rarely ever take the pain pills I get. But I'm a hardass. Rawr.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Plus tylenol is bad for the liver.
If you're taking it four times a day everyday, or taking it after alcohol to get rid of a hangover - yes it's bad. But a couple of Tylenols here and there for a headache or something is not gonna do much damage.

posted by Nigel

Quote:
Gimme the drugs. Pain can reduce mobility, make you walk wrong, reach wrong, eat wrong, and do plenty of other things that can beget more health problems. The trick is to also address the cause of the pain rather than just cover it up.
Agreed. Enduring long term pain can also make people quite depressed.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
The doctor that prescribed me my pain medication is currently my hero.

(3 broken bones + surgery within the last two weeks.)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

The doctor that prescribed me my pain medication is currently my hero.

(3 broken bones + surgery within the last two weeks.)
Hope you're feeling better.

I'm all for post-surgery painkillers, although my mother tells me that I kept trying to get off them early after having my wisdom teeth out because I was afraid of getting addicted. I don't remember that at all.

I had no qualms about taking painkillers after my jaw surgery--the thought of what had happened to my body was scary enough without feeling it. I mostly dislike taking them for headaches, even migraines, because my mother got addicted to Exedrin for her migraines and almost died of a bleeding ulcer.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Supposedly, you can build up a good tolerance for the opiate-based painkillers.

If this is true, it is a good argument not to use strong painkillers until you need them.

·
Registered
885 Posts
For headaches, I have no choice - take the pain killer, or develop a debilitating migrane. Luckily, since getting PG i haven't had any, because I dont want to take any drugs.

My pain tolerance in general is very high. I didn't use any pain killers after getting my wisdom teeth out. Getting tonsils out as a child was pretty painful though, I did take meds for that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it really depends on what is going on - pain exists for a reason, our bodies have a way of telling us that something is wrong. I don't think I'd be one to take something for unknown pain of any sort, but once whatever is wrong is identified, it then depends on the severity of the pain, and the length of illness, etc...

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
>>Supposedly, you can build up a good tolerance for the opiate-based painkillers.>>

Not supposedly. It's quite well established.

Of course, such tolerance is not permanent.

I prefer to use opioid painkillers because they get me high.

ebola

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm very sensitive to pain and have many recurrent pains. I have migraines, vulvodynia, joint and bone pains.. I'll rather eat an aspirin that wait for hours the pain to go away. Meditation, mental images etc. it doesn't work for me at all. Pain killers don't work all the time, but at least then I've tried. If that doesn't help, then all I can do is sleep it off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts