VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it'd be an interesting topic, but do you take pain killers or panedol for head aches?

I refuse to take any sort of medication for headaches etc (but i didn't have much choice when I had to take pencillion a few years ago), knowing that at some point it was tested on animals. Did you also know that the capsual ones (with the soft outsides) are made from gelatin?

So do you guys take them and what's your opinion?

·
Registered
278 Posts
If I could function at a normal level without the two meds. I take daily for intense migraines. I would. But, I fear that isn't the case. Until I started this second one, I had the most intense headaches. Either like a spear going through my head or a vice tightened on the back of my head. So, if that means I should be called veggiechick because I take them so be it. Also, when one hits I have to take my prescription medicine plus 4 Advil to be able to move. Ah! I'm interested to see what others think. (A bit nervous too.)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
veganchick,

I'd still consider you vegan because as FemmeDemonica says, "veganism is a process." There are no "perfect" vegans, and I feel confident that as soon as you discover an effective vegan alternative to those meds you're taking, you'll wholeheartedly switch.

Besides, a "true" vegan who has constant, crippling pain seems like much less good to the vegan cause than a "slightly-less-true" vegan who functions at a high level.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Skylark, you are still a vegan. I'm sure that if there were a vegan alternative you would switch straight away, but there isn't, so it's OK. I say that scientists need to sort it out and give us vegan alternatives!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i dont want to upset anyone. and i am only a newbie but i got strong views on medicine.

I do not luckily need to take medication frequently nor have i ever needed drastic surgery etc.

but i dont take any medicine. I think most things your body can naturally cope with if you phase the medicine out slowly (i know i know i have never experianced anything drastic so ur porb shouting at ur screen right now)

in an IDEAL WORLD i dont think there should be medicine because it restricts natural evolution (which i belive in) naturally through survival of the fittest we would become strong against infection. and if we weren't our neighbour would be. and our neighbour would reproduce and pass on the strong gene to the next generation etc.

TO AND EXTENT i think we are making a very weak nation by taking medicine because we are becoming immune to medicines and also passing on diseased and recessive genes to the next generation.

I know this might sound harsh (and i shall keep on apologising!) but this is only in an ideal world.

im sure if i was in a life threatening situation i would take a limited amount of drugs it would be foolish not to.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, well here's some more food for thought...

A friend once asked me "What if you were diagnosed with terminal cancer, but you could be cured by taking this particular medicine, would you take it?"

Me "What's the catch?"

"The medicine is made from whale oil."

Straight away I said no, simply because I don't believe in sacrificing one life for another. As far as I'm concerned a whale is an endangered species, I am not, thus they have a lot more right to be here than I do. Besides how could you live with yourself afterwards. Then again I'm 19 and don't have kids. Perhaps it's different if you have your own family and stuff.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeh i know by reflex i would say i wouldnt take it either. but i mean i am sure i would end up taking it.

saw this really good tv drama once (i dont normally watch the Idiot Box ... one off) and it was about this kid who was vegan i think and very anti animal testing and he refused to have an operation because animals died in testing etc etc.

His parents respected his choise but they wernt gonna sit back and watch their only son die. so they forced him to have the medicine.

he dies in the end probably because he was so stressed that his parents had gone against his will.

this i think is a very interesting topic.

if we had cures to all the nasty diseases (again im really sorry if you have one of these - i dont mean this personally) then how much bigger would the populaiton be??

i mean in china for example they got a huge AIDS problem starting up and it will eventually bring their population down to average size. good/bad?

if people began living longer all over the world would we have enough food for this huge mostly omni population?

where would we join the line with cures? will we be constantly patching up people with more and more cures, becoming more and mroe dependant on medicine?

would we then be sending all this medicine to the 3rd world, would it become a necessity like food and drink? would it be considered harsh to deprive them of this medicine.

id be really interested to know what you all think

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well said SimpleSimon. Because humans are the top of the food chain, they need something to keep numbers down, disease. So I guess that by creating medicines and cures we are defying nature, but isn't that what humans do best?

I only know one person who suffered a terminal illness and he was just a kid so it was really sad when he died of Hodkinson's Disease. But I agree with Simon that we are becoming too dependent on medicine.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I hate it when doctor's prescibe antibiotics for any old thing. I was prescribed antibiotics when I had tonsillitis and the flu a few weeks ago *actually, it was last week and the week before) and only becuase I have such large tonsils if they swell too much I can't breathe or eat. Prescribed me penicillin, guess what I'm allergic. Oh well, I got better without the antibiotics (I took 3 and no more because I started having a reaction).

Yes, I take headache pills. I am also one of those cannot function people... but I rarely get headaches so it's not a big problem. I guess with me, I uhderstand the survival instinct, and most people possess that... so if I was dying and could get better with a medicine that had been tested on animals or was animal derived I would, because it's not that I think I'm better it's just that I'm me and want to survive... I do have dependents also.
Not children but a family nonetheless...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Taking medicine is natural, people have been doing it since the dawn of time, and animals do too: straight from nature. People have used plants in their natural form to treat many things. Just look up a book on traditional ecological knowledge. A lot of medicines we use today have been developed from plants, that have been used for centuries, and over time we refine them and learn how to use them more efficiently.

Having said that, I do agree that we (at least in the developed nations) are becoming too dependent on pills. We can pop a pill to relieve any ache and pain, instead of, for example, eating better and relaxing more, and just look at what has happened with our overuse of antibiotics.

Lastly, I believe that it is natural for humans to want to be able to cure all diseases (of course it will never happen). It is our survival instinct, and most people will choose to save a human life rather than an animal life if they are in a life threatening situation.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeh we have been using medicine for years. but the medicine we use today i think is undoubtably not just a few natural remedies.

I think the chimps would if they were intelligant enough to know it would save them. but the fact is they are not so they do behavioural things like shelter from the sun so as not to get sunstroke for example.

like superjane said we dont do these natural things anymore we just pop a few pills.... does this mean we are becoming even more detached from nature?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
one of the main reasons i became vegan was for my health, so if i really need medication i will take it and not care about the ingrediants. another comprimise, but your not a good example of a vegan if your sick when you dont have to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts