VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a clinic and was doing some filing when I landed on a patient's 'special diet allowance' form. I was curious to see what medical conditions would warrant a special allowance. Well, being allergic to milk is apparently one of them. I can understand diabetes, renal failure and other conditions listed on there, but the milk allergy one baffles me. Why would you need financial help to avoid dairy? I wanted your take on this...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps... It's sad that avoiding dairy is considered a 'special condition'. And you have to be allergic (proven by a test) to be elligible for this allowance. Life ain't fair sometimes, eh? We're doing it out of A)compassion and B) for health, which saves the health system money, and yet we are not rewarded. Ah well. Keep up the good diet to all those who choose to avoid it!
Our encouragements to each other will be our 'allowance'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.

I receive a special diet allowance because I am lacose intolerance . I am not paid to drink milk. I love milk and would drink milk if I could. I only receive $70.00. I used toget $220 because of my medical condition which can be life threating but the ontario gov eliminated that from their list except lactose intolerance. This $70.00 is supposed to cover thing like ensure -lactose free. for the whole month . Before you get judgemental. it was my doctor's idea to recieve diability not mine, in fact I was fighting.it. I used to a lotof volunteer work and am active in toastmasters. All this just to point out that people are not paid not to drink milk, not taking advantage of the systmem and have a real need extra money for their nutritional needs

·
Registered
375 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up.

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but it seems to be that you are receiving money so you can buy lactose free products. But many people buy lactose free products without paying much more. I went shopping today, and milk is almost the same price as my almond milk. And I don't even NEED my almond milk. I'm not sure I understand why it is you are receiving money, unless, for some reason, you need to consume some expensive lactose free products ($15 a week's worth), and have a low income. I don't really care so much about your income, but what is it you need to consume that much of? I go through a couple cartons of almond milk a week, but that's only about $8-10 tops, and, again, is a luxury.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Isn't lactose intolerance a normal human condition? White people of european descent tolerate it better than most, but like 70% of the world population doesn't handle it. I guess when milk is an "essential" part of a healthy diet (by our society's standards), somehow it's a medical condition to not be able to drink it? I don't tolerate dairy well and I certainly don't consider it a problem. I nursed for 2 1/2 years...then I grew up. I don't need breastmilk from my mom or ANY animal anymore. Nor does any other human adult. *sigh*

I guess I'm not really complaining if some people get help paying for the more expensive stuff (more power to ya I guess), it's the attitude towards dairy having essential nutrients you can only get through substitutes that bugs me. Yeah and my almond milk isn't any more expensive than organic cow's milk. It's more expensive than hormone and antibiotic filled milk by a smidge, but ewww. They should have to pay people to drink the cheap stuff, not the good stuff. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts