VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so we have an atheism thread, and a Christian beliefs thread. So, I'll start a pagan thread. I don't think this will be as popular though!

So the motivation behind this thread is a sharig of beliefs if you feel comfortable doing so and an opportunity for friendly discussion and questions.

I am a pagan, have been all my life, even before I had the label for it. I would be classified as a pantheist, as I stated on the atheist thread. I believe in a divine force that is present in everything, nature to me is a representation of this divine force. There is NO separation between heaven and earth for me... I believe in reincarnation (though probably transmigration is more accurate) and also in nirvana, with souls merging with the divine spirit on attaining enlightenment. As said before, I do not worship any gods or goddesses, I see them as representations, or personified concepts. I wonder if some (like Thor, and Wodan) are also ancient heroes made into a godlike status.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, not sentient, no. Think of Star Wars, and the Force... and you have it!

I didn't become one, I just was one. Christianity was the framework I was brought up in, but the idea that the earth was separate from the divine did not seem right to me. I read lots of fantasy books and many of them gave pagan themes, which helped me define some initial ideas. I started out with the idea of animal deities, but soon developed the idea into a belief in more shamanistic ideas of guides and totems. But it wasn't until I met one of my friends at uni that I really understood where I was coming from. She's Wiccan, and she believes in certain gods and goddesses. I come from a shamanic viewpoint. Guides, and spirit worlds (but still no gods or goddesses as such). My beliefs are always subject to change as I do... my understanding of the world grows and changes and my beliefs must reflect that.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
shewolf, i'm curious. do you mind a few Q's? .

> nature to me is a representation of this divine force

1. why is this force "divine"? what does divine mean? can we ever know what divine means?

2. so is it possible to explore nature scientifically i.e. with purely scientific tools or are there "supernatural" phenomena in nature for which we won't ever find an explanation (i.e. we will never able to explain them, instead we have to accept that it's just "the divine force" at work).

3. when physicists succeed to unify the 4 fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetic, strong and weak nuclear), will we arrive at the "divine force", or is there still more to it?

4. so do you believe in reincarnation of the soul? if so, how is this transformation taking place? will we be able to actually witness this within the boundaries of mdern (or future) physics or is it something "supernatural" and never to be observed by us?

5. will all souls be reincarnated? how about animals. can i be reborn as an animal? is the number of souls in the universe always constant or are new souls created and existing ones destroyed?

i don't want debate i'm just curious (and bored). i don't know paganism at all. if you can post a link its good too. thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I am pagan as well. There are others here who also are.

I am mostly Wiccan, but with a twist. I tend to call it Jedi Bokononist Wicca... lol.

Wiccans tend to believe in the Goddess and the God, but I take that less as a man and woman on a cloud, and think of it as more free form- finding these aspects in nature, and appreciating them for what they are.

I believe they are 2 faces of a greater force of sorts that runs through everything- as per the Star Wars thing above.

I believe in reincarnation, and a sliding scale of experience, a la Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I also believe in the possibility of manipulating energy. Magick, clairvoyance, etc. I don't believe neutonian science with ever 'prove' these phenomena, as they are by definition outside the scope of that discipline, but I believe Quantum physics isn't far off from it already.

I also try to attune with the cycles of the earth and universe, if I can. IT helps me feel grounded.

I can write more later, if you wish.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm always interested in what people's spiritual beliefs are. I suppose paganism is like Christianity or any other religion, in that each person has their own interpretation.

·
Registered
0 Posts
just as you I belive i May be labeld a pagan. in the future or near future at least. the more i read on the subject the more i become aware thats how i FEEl, and have felt for a very very long time. its funny having ideas in your head and then learning that a lot of other people have the same thoughts as you.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Proud to be Pagan!

I was raised to be Christian, but it was never what was in my heart. All my life, I have had "experiences" (mostly with spirits) that were different from what I was taught. My parents of course dismissed it when I was little and would tell them of something that happened. I wish they hadn't. I wish I would have been taught to embrace it. Because now that I want to, things don't come nearly as freely. When I was in 6th grade, I decided to find the answers for myself. I started reading books on ghosts and hauntings and things like that. I found these in the new age section of Waldenbooks. While there I came across Celtic Magick by DJ Conway. Reading it, I felt something stir deeply within my soul. I felt at home. It wasn't until a couple years later, that I would come to identify myself as Wiccan/Pagan.

I believe wholeheartedly in reincarnation. Sometimes, I feel like I can almost remember. Sometimes I can even feel the wind on my face and smell the air of a place I haven't been to. It would explain why I feel so closely to the Celts and why I have such a strong dislike for the ancient romans. I had a recurring dream when I was very young. In it, men in Roman uniform, repeatedly beheaded the members of my family. They were lined up, and one by one killed. Their heads fell into a pool below that was completely filled with blood. Of course it was modernized. It was my family of this life, wearing normal clothing and it was taking place on a diving board. I didn't understand it then. And it wasn't until maybe 3 years ago that I remembered it.

I believe that religion is something you have to feel and that there is always more to learn. I may not have as many magick "skills" as some, but that is the least of my concern. If I am unable to cast a circle in the physical, I will do it in meditation. I believe in a God and Goddess that are essentially the same being. I commune with them, but do not necessarily feel separate from them. I feel the same about the earth.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oooh, Erin, you just sent shivers down my spine. I feel exactly the same way about the Romans... always have. I feel a kinship with the Irish celts and also the germanic tribes...

I feel I have no magickal ability at all. The difference between Wicca and Paganism is simply (to me) that paganism is a description (a spirituality) of a way of viewing and experiencing the world, and encompasses quite a few religions, like Wicca, Hinduism, etc and Wicca is a branch of paganism, in much the same way as say Protestantism is a branch of Christianity. Except within paganism there are many differences, it is much more free form and dependent upon what is right for you. I don't subscribe to any of the more organised pagan religions (and I use the word organised loosely, there are still vast differences between types of Wiccas) because I have yet to find one that suits me to a tee. That's why I have elements from native american, celtic, and buddhist traditions.

Oatmeal, I will try to answer these qs but realise that I've never really thought about most of them! LOL

This force is divine to me, paganism is an intensely personal thing. But obviously my idea of divine and another's idea of divine is completely different. So I cannot quantifiably say why it is divine, because someone else may see it differently. All I KNOW is that it makes me feel more alive and more connected to everything around me, and to me, that is enough.

I think we can certainly explore nature with science, but, I do think we should be open to the possibility that there is more to it. There are things that scientists still can't explain. There are themes that still crop up even with no evidence or historical support, but does that mean they never were or never happened? The bottom line is we don't know. So most people err on the side of "no, they didn't" while I prefer to say "maybe". Have to add, I've never really experienced anything one might call supernatural.

Q 3 I don't think I can answer. If it happens let me know.

Reincarnation (transmigration) of the soul, yes. How does this transformation take place? Well, the way I see it souls spend time briefly or lengthily shedding their former life but incorporating what they have learnt. Where this happens I have no idea. It could be that they are subsumed back into the "force" for a time, or that there is a different plane. Me, I don't know. Whether or not this can ever be measured or seen depends on the future of science, whether technology becomes sophisticated enough to measure such things. Personally, I don't think it ever will be, we're dealing with something no-one really understands in their lifetime (yet maybe over the course of their lifetimes they do come to understand it). I don't think our brains can fully comprehend it.

I believe in reincarnation into anything. (That's where transmigration comes into it). So yes, from human to cow, from dog to human, etc. Each life has a particular purpose, for your soul. Imagine, you are born as a veal calf. What is the purpose of that life? What would that teach your soul? Perhaps compassion and the meaning of true suffering. Perhaps your soul does not handle it and bitterness enters. It is possible to be set back in your journey, if you fail to incorporate the lesson of that life. I don't think soul numbers are constant, I think they are expanding tremendously, not enough souls attain enlightenment, and more souls are born (from the "force", it is a force for creation and rebirth). However I think there is another reason for the expanding number of souls, but I haven't really formulated my ideas articulately.

Anyway, those are my ideas, some of my brethren
may have different ideas...

This is a site I used to visit a lot, for the forums.

http://www.amystickalgrove.com

The site itself is more Wicca themed but has some useful information. The forums (Native American/Shamanism) were where I hung out.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shewolf

Oooh, Erin, you just sent shivers down my spine. I feel exactly the same way about the Romans... always have. I feel a kinship with the Irish celts and also the germanic tribes...

Maybe our paths crossed at some point.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ROFL

My Wiccan friend has a recurring burning dream... whenever she has it she's pretty traumatised. Luckily my dreams are never that unpleasant.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
OK!!!

interesting.

i'm ok with this thread. i always ask people's opinion about science.

definitely shewolf you are right that not everything is explained by science today. but that what science is about.

for instance i strongly believe in "intuition", though it's not yet explained by science how it works in the brain.

anyhow i'll check out this thread from time to time...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We'll be glad to have you Oatmeal!

It's Samhain for me... it's kinda hard being in the Southern Hemisphere, I'm never quite sure what I should be celebrating... and also with QLD being so mild the seasons aren't very obvious here. I generally celebrate Beltane the traditional way *cough* but without the bonfires and festival...
oh and with contraception. LOL Samhain is a weird one. This year I am going to hold a memorial for those who have passed. I am not very obvious or strict about it, but I feel the need to have a ritual this year. Too much has happened.

You?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts