VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with packaging? Even the organic products I want to get at the supermarket are packaged in non-recyclable containers. Our grocery store wont let us buy produce unless we put it in a produce bag unless its a single item. Weve taken to reusing our plastic produce bags and I know it makes them crazy. Its the middle of winter where I live. I dont have access to a lot of farmers market stuff until mid to late July at the earliest. Until then, what am I supposed to do for something as simple as lettuce when I cant buy anything that isnt in an un recyclable plastic container?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
for produce, you could get some of those mesh bags to replace the plastic. my lovely secret santa got me some which are great. this kind of thing is what i'm talking about although you can probably get a better deal outside of amazon. you can make them yourself too, like this for example

·
Registered
739 Posts
I usually buy my produce without bags and piss the checkout staff off. they have never actually said anything though heheheh.

However it is rather annoying having all the fruit/veg rolling around loosely in my reuseable bags so I have been using mesh bags like those shown above. I managed to buy them in the supermarket for that very purpose. I use them now only for things that I want >1 of.... eg potatoes, onions and fruit. i still put my loose leeks, lettuce and brocoli on the counter

Having said that I have recently started goign to the brand new farmers market near my house... yay. Its been running for 1 month now and apparently will keep going all winter which will be nice. Fingers crossed. And I will just have to eat everything in season which is what I try and do anyway. Yay for farmers markets. Are there none in your area that continue over winter..... squash, brassicas and leeks all grow well over winter. Then there are winter carrots, lettuce and spinach that often do well too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could adequately explain where I live to you. Picture a town of about 20,000 people, then picture nothing....nothing...for about 100 miles except for unincorporated towns. We have tons of ranches, some farms but not much else. No factory farms or ranches though. Everything is still family run. Picture public schools where the school board still insists on daily prayer and where banned books arent allowed anywhere near the libraries. No public transportation, no community centers, nothing except good God fearing American families who are afraid of anyone who is not just like them. The whole economic collapse didnt really affect us as much as the rest of the country and our unemployment is still something like 5%, yet people behaved just like it did and became even more conservative.

I have lived here my whole life and will probably live here for the rest of my life because despite all this, I love it. There are however some serious disadvantages. Hubby and I are considered novelties with our recycling and organic purchasing and reusable shopping bags. You should have seen what happened when Hubby ripped out our blue grass and planted drought resistant prairie grass in our front yard
. I will never forget my next door neighbors incredulous stuttering. He actually asked us, But how do you water that? Umm, we dont have to, thats the point. But its ugly and will get on my grass. He ended up putting up a fence. It was fine, we didnt need to see him every day anyway. We even get grief because I have three kids and still havent traded my small sedan in for an SUV. Apparently I need one? We are so sparsely populated that people think that there is endless space and resources.

We have a farmers market that runs for about half a year but it doesnt do that well because people think its too expensive. We do have a wal-mart. They are talking about opening it again which would be great since we have all these farms and people with extra produce.
Mostly, we adopt the attitude that the check-out people can just deal but I agree, it makes things difficult when you have all this produce rolling around in carts, etc. One day, after the checkout lady literally put two cans of beans in a plastic bag and then put that in my reusable bag, I actually just started repacking the stuff and handed her the bags back. She just threw them away...(Sigh!!!)

This is where I live.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post

One day, after the checkout lady literally put two cans of beans in a plastic bag and then put that in my reusable bag, I actually just started repacking the stuff and handed her the bags back. She just threw them away...(Sigh!!!)

This is where I live.
this made me laugh.
keep doing what you're doing. next time you have the same person at the register she may remember

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would highly recommend the mesh bags then. Last year I lived in an isolated NZ town of 10,000. People thought I was crazy there too and they think that the environment will be lush and green forever no matter what because that is what its like where they live (very sparsely populated). So unrealistic. but the checkout people got over it and I always made a point of saying 'no plastic bags thanks' before they started packing anyuthing. Often this would freak them out and they would ask at least 2x if I was sure. Once I firmly said yes I was sure they usually got over it and packed everything into my resuable bags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.