VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My absolute favorite restaurant in town is an oriental restaurant. It has a big "vegetarian" menu and lots my omni bf likes too. In a small town that is rare so I eat there a lot. My bf recently got a job there, working in the kitchen, and he told me the other day that all of their food cooked in "brown sauce" (the entire vegetarian menu) has oyster sauce mixed in to it! Yuck! I've been eating that all this time thinking it was okay! He asked his boss, the owner, about it and he told him "just don't tell anyone." Eww. I still go there I just request that they don't put any sauce on it.

I also found out that their "cheese" wontons are actually crab and cheese wontons! I ate that too! This is the thing I hate most about small town restaurants is that no one regulates anything and they just kind of say or do whateer they want to. It can be really disgusting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
thats really gross...

BUT as i have worked in many kitchens, it hardly suprises me!

Many chefs don't care if they put beef stock in a vegetable soup. And they will still tell the customer its vegetable soup, and if a customer gets the waitress to ask specifically, the chef will lie and say its veggie when i know its not.

I have even seen one chef tell a waitress to tell the customers that a meal was halal (i can't remember which) when it certainly was not!

And when i worked a vegetarian pizza place there were signs up saying we used renet free cheese, but we didn't.

There are so many dodgy lies and stuff in the food industry. IMO you just have to expect that the veggie food is not 100% veggie anywhere you go to eat out, doubly so for vegan food.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Holy guacamole! It's this kind of stuff that makes me order a salad with oil and vinegar when I go out. I just don't trust restaraunts unless I know the staff and or owner. The only place I really enjoy care-free eating is the sushi place where the waitress brings me my "usual" and 2 places I have drinks with friends all the time cause I know the entire staff and owners. Other than that it's like 20 questions and I usually feel lied to.

Sorry this happened but at least you found out. I would write a letter of complaint and address the BBB (though I know that does no good).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Based on your description, I'm sure that the Oyster Sauce used in that restaurant is not vegetarian, but keep in mind that not all Oyster Sauce contains fish.

PF Changs Oyster Sauce, for instance, is Vegan. It clearly states that on their web site, and after I had a server who warned me that an item I was ordering was supposedly not vegetarian. Based on the web site info, I made him go in the back and check the indredients. He sheepishly returned informing me that he had misunderstood and the item in question was Vegetarian.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think, if you have confronted the management and they insist on retaining the vegetarian menu, even if it blatently isn't, you ought to complain to food standards. Listing something as veg*n when it is, isn't a legal requirement. But misleading people to believe something is veg*n when it isn't can't be legal...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would talk to the manager about this. What if someone was allergic to crab and ate a wonton and got really sick? The restuarant could have a lawsuit on it's hands. If you continue to eat there, request those items with an alternative sauce, aks your waitress about other sauces that could be used in place of oyster.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I will probably make a complaint eventualy but for now my bf still works there so I would not want to put his job at risk. Particularly because his boss asked him not to tell anyone. For now I just warn all the veg*ns I know.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vawny_la_veg View Post

But misleading people to believe something is veg*n when it isn't can't be legal...
Why, because there's some legal definition of what "vegetarian" means?
Like it or not, there are a lot of people out there who call themselves vegetarians while eating fish. The non-fish-eating vegetarians would have a hard time convincing lawmakers to enact legislation to force restauranteurs from using the definition of vegetarianism that includes fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Holy guacamole! It's this kind of stuff that makes me order a salad with oil and vinegar when I go out. I just don't trust restaraunts unless I know the staff and or owner. The only place I really enjoy care-free eating is the sushi place where the waitress brings me my "usual" and 2 places I have drinks with friends all the time cause I know the entire staff and owners. Other than that it's like 20 questions and I usually feel lied to.

Sorry this happened but at least you found out. I would write a letter of complaint and address the BBB (though I know that does no good).
Do you live in the US? Because in the UK, food in restaraunts are always labelled Suitable for Vegetarians (not vegan though
) You can usually guarante that these are free from meat and fish. But as skylark said, with people who eat fish going around calling themselves vegeterian, it's no surprise that people have different definitions of what 'vegetarian' means.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercress View Post

Do you live in the US? Because in the UK, food in restaraunts are always labelled Suitable for Vegetarians (not vegan though
)
I seem to recall frequently finding "Suitable for vegans" food when I was in Scotland three years ago. *shrug* It might be regional or discontinued.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Having worked in MANY restaurants, bars and cafés over the years, in a few different cities, I think that I can fairly certainly say that you can never be sure. And it doesn't seem to be a matter of 'not understanding what veg*n means', but actual, straight-out lies. Everywhere I've worked, the vast majority, if not all, of the employees have zero respect for telling people the truth about anything. Whether it's veg*n food, or less oil, or oil instead of butter, or whatever. Cooks do whatever the hell they want, and I've even known people to INTENTIONALLY add unnecessary chicken\\beef stock to something veg*n just for kicks. You really cannot trust anyone.

Sorry for that, but unfortunately, it is the truth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I seem to recall frequently finding "Suitable for vegans" food when I was in Scotland three years ago. *shrug* It might be regional or discontinued.
Most likely because most vegetarian options in restaraunts are usually covered with cheese.

The co-op labels things as vegan though.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i understand your upset at the grossness of eating flesh products, but, as far as cruelty is concerned, if you are interested in lessening how many cruel products you buy, less dairy and eggs would be a great start!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

i understand your upset at the grossness of eating flesh products, but, as far as cruelty is concerned, if you are interested in lessening how many cruel products you buy, less dairy and eggs would be a great start!
Being vegan would be great but, being a very poor college student in a very small town, eggs and dairy products are cheap and vegan food is not at all usually. So for now I can't afford to cut back much and still be able to eat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Why, because there's some legal definition of what "vegetarian" means?
Like it or not, there are a lot of people out there who call themselves vegetarians while eating fish. The non-fish-eating vegetarians would have a hard time convincing lawmakers to enact legislation to force restauranteurs from using the definition of vegetarianism that includes fish.
From dictionary.com

'veg·e·tar·i·an /ˌvɛdʒɪˈtɛəriən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vej-i-tair-ee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

noun

1. a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc. '

Yeah, so by definition, if you eat fish you are not veggie. I'm not saying that they should enforce legislation, but if they claim something is veggie when it has fish in it, it's not veggie and that's false advertising. And that is illegal.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vawny_la_veg View Post

From dictionary.com

'veg·e·tar·i·an /?v?d???t??ri?n/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vej-i-tair-ee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

noun

1. a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc. '

Yeah, so by definition, if you eat fish you are not veggie. I'm not saying that they should enforce legislation, but if they claim something is veggie when it has fish in it, it's not veggie and that's false advertising. And that is illegal.
Gee, thanks. I was unclear how dictionary.com defined "vegetarian."

It's not illegal to use one of several common definitions of a word when the word has no specific legal definition. Should Christian churches run the Christian Scientists out of town for using the word "Christian" when they don't embrace traditional Christian theology? Oooh false advertising, someone might say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts