VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else own their own business? Any hints and tips for getting started?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Well, in a way I do. I am partners in my father's painting and contracting business while I go through school. What are you having problems with?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Same here...in a way...I an self employed doing commissioned illustrations, making tshirts and selling them at events/online...if thats any help..

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Not helpful:

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Since businesses are people, it should be illegal to own a business.[/SPOILER]

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Does anyone else own their own business? Any hints and tips for getting started?
I can give some but I really have to know the scope and type of business you are looking at to give you anything useful.

I've been running my own business for going on 14 years now.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

Not helpful:

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Since businesses are people, it should be illegal to own a business.[/SPOILER]

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
different businesses, different starts.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I do freelance translation semi regularly and have dabbled in various temporary ventures here and there. I suppose that's kind of like doing my own business lol. But every type of business would need different advice. Do you actually have something in mind?

In general, my advice would be start small and build, keeping your day job at first. Know your market and the demand for your product. Have a specific customer in mind and market to them. Keep detailed records of finances, customers, etc. Continually analyze your successes and failures. Aside from knowing your product, become a master of relationship management. It will make or break you. Start with How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I don't really think so but according to my last tax statement I do. I buy and re-sell lots of things and do consignment for people as well. Just sell on craigslist, ebay, and live auctions. No storefront. Wasn't sure if it was a "hobby" or "business" but the tax man says it's a business so I'd have to say that technically I do operate a business.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Business owner here too ..

Without knowing anything at all about your business idea, Limes, I will offer you one important tip.

There is always an element of gamble in business.

Under no circumstances gamble more than you can afford to lose.

Did you have a business idea btw?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok to be more clear, this is my second summer operating my own mobile massage therapy business. The only real issue I'm having is getting myself known. Last year I had a handful of clients from a kijiji ad, but I didn't do much more than that. I have everything I need to operate, so there isn't any more costs or chances for me to lose money in product or supplies or anything like that. I have business cards, website, bumper stickers, all my equipment like table, lotion, linens, forms, etc. I handed out business cards to a bunch of similar businesses yesterday (like gyms and sports equipment stores...nothing too similar) but I don't think that generates too much business.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
So more of a marketing question then. IMO best form of marketing for personal services is word of mouth. Ask your customers for referrals, maybe even going as far as offering a free massage to both the referee and referrer.

Now for the not too serious obligatory comment... Do you offer happy endings? :runsaway:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

So more of a marketing question then. IMO best form of marketing for personal services is word of mouth. Ask your customers for referrals, maybe even going as far as offering a free massage to both the referee and referrer.

Now for the not too serious obligatory comment... Do you offer happy endings? :runsaway:
From the wise words of Homer Simpson:
Quote:
Masseuses: the half-doctors half-hookers who solve everything
But no, only serious business

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I agree with this. Most of our business comes from word of mouth, you just can't beat it.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
You might consider a vinyl wrap on your car. You don't necessarily need to do the whole car. They can do wraps that cover the back of the car or the rear window. It's much larger and more eye-catching than a bumper sticker. You are using your car as a billboard, which is especially good if you are going to be spending a lot of time on the road anyway.

Make sure you are on Yelp and encourage the people you know to write favorable reviews.

Make sure Google smiles upon you when people search for 'massage' and the name of your city.

It's expensive recruiting new customers. Make sure you have strategies in place to keep your brand in front of clients.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts