VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry i know this can be quite a sensitive subject but Has anyone else gained any excess amount of weight since going Veg*n?

My dad and i both went ovo-lacto-Vegetarian 2 years ago, my Dad was 79 kilos and he is now 107 kilos, i was 51 kilos and i am now 76 kilos.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
No, exact opposite, however I went whole food plant based. No processed crap, no added oils, no meat, eggs or dairy. If I'm doing my math right I've dropped around 25 kilos.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I did a little bit when things started getting super busy for me. It's easy to eat processed carbs when in a hurry if you don't plan ahead to have healthy items ready to take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have heard that you actually are supposed to or a lot of people lose weight or a slimmer than meat eaters. But just because someone is a vegetarian or vegan doesnt mean they will be 'thin' they can still gain weight from eating junk food.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goods of eden View Post

I have heard that you actually are supposed to or a lot of people lose weight or a slimmer than meat eaters. But just because someone is a vegetarian or vegan doesnt mean they will be 'thin' they can still gain weight from eating junk food.
Or, ya know, some people just naturally have a bone structure and metabolism that lends us to being bigger, even if we eat more or less healthy foods every day, and not necessarily in excess.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm heavy, but I've been heavy for most of my life. I was even a fat kid in the 70's when fat kids were hard to find. I weigh about 20 pounds less as a vegan than I did as an omni. I eat really healthy food most of the time, but too much of anything can make you fat. My daughter, who also had a weight problem, went vegan with me and now she looks like the stereotypical vegan.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

I'm heavy, but I've been heavy for most of my life. I was even a fat kid in the 70's when fat kids were hard to find. I weigh about 20 pounds less as a vegan than I did as an omni. I eat really healthy food most of the time, but too much of anything can make you fat. My daughter, who also had a weight problem, went vegan with me and now she looks like the stereotypical vegan.
I SO want to look like the stereotypical vegan someday.

Laura

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
That's fine for you as a goal if you want it.

I for one NEVER want to be the stereotypical vegan. I actually find that my unlikely physical attributes help me as a vegan and as an animal advocate. I'm not what people expect or mentally conjure when they hear those terms. It's a disarming technique. In a way, I've taken something people would consider a negative and turned it into my greatest strength.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I for one NEVER want to be the stereotypical vegan.
I don't either. Gladly I don't look like the stereotypical vegan (which I assume is "skinny" - is that what you mean)?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I don't either. Gladly I don't look like the stereotypical vegan (which I assume is "skinny" - is that what you mean)?
Yeah, I guess that is what I mean. Only because I've NEVER been skinny and have always wanted to be.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've been a Vegetarian since the last 5 months. Prior to that I was following a medium carb diet. I'm sorry to see that I have started to gain weight and don't really know how to lose it.

I don't eat processed or junk food but eat far more carbs since I've given up animal protein.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I first went veggie I stayed the same because I was eating a lot of junk veggie food, but over the years I've fluctuated like everyone else. My body like to be about 170 and generally finds its way back, my doctor hates it, but its suited me just fine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by be_it View Post

When I first went veggie I stayed the same because I was eating a lot of junk veggie food, but over the years I've fluctuated like everyone else. My body like to be about 170 and generally finds its way back, my doctor hates it, but its suited me just fine.
If that's you in your avatar, I'd say you look pretty healthy and fantastic.

Laura

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

If that's you in your avatar, I'd say you look pretty healthy and fantastic.

Laura
It is. And thank you! That was when I was still 185. Which is why I call my doctor crazy when he tells me to get to 130.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by be_it View Post

It is. And thank you! That was when I was still 185. Which is why I call my doctor crazy when he tells me to get to 130.
I don't understand that. How tall are you?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I stayed about the same when I went veg. However I didn't eat many animal products before.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts