VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably sounds weird and crazy to you guys, but does anyone here have a tendency to do this?

For some reason, I can't stop pulling and picking at my eyebrows, and now they are really short and look bad. But yet I still do it. Maybe I have some weird disorder.

It started just by plucking to reshape them, but then some depression hit, and it became a nervous habit.

I want to let them regrow, but it's annoying and frustrating. Any thoughts?

b4s

·
Registered
0 Posts
I used to do this, so one summer I got rid of my tweezers and forced myself to give my eyebrows to grow back. After that the habit was broken, and I was used to my eyebrows looking more natural. I pluck them a little now, but just stray hairs and such.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would suggest that you, as bloodysunsett suggested, throw out your eyebrows. After they have grown out, go to a beauty salon that do eyebrows. They well propery reshape them (probably using mostly wax) and then show you how to fill in any areas that haven't grown back properly. You must stop now because each time you overpluck, you run the risk that the hairs won't grow back.

Another, more severe solution is to go and get your eyebrows tattoed. My eyebrows are naturally very, very thin and most of the hair that does grow, grows on my browbone. I had them professionally tattoed, and I wax off most of the outer brow, leaving the front of the brow there (since I have very little brows to begin with, this is a wonderful solution). When my natural brows are there, there isn't very much shape at the arch. The tattoing was well done, and no one can tell that they aren't my natural brows.

A professional brow shaping really makes a difference. Also, if you know that you are paying to have your brows done once a month or so, you might leave them be.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... I've heard of that disorder before, but I dunno if it fits. It's only my eyebrows, and sometimes I get these tiny firm black hairs on my chin and neck, and I compulsivly pull those out because I think they'd look so gross if anyone noticed. It's so unfeminine! I think it runs in the family. My sister took medication just to get rid of them. It's too much testosterone or something.

I would throw out my tweezers, but if I did, I would go nuts! There have been times when I couldn't find them, and I compulsively looked everywhere and got really upset that I didn't know where they were. Ack!

I notice that when I'm sitting at the computer, or in front of the tv, or something of that nature, I unconsciously feel my eyebrows for little sharp regrowths, and they feel all spiky and hard. I just can't not try to take them out. The little short ones are obvious sometimes.

Whenever I do my makeup now, I have to pencil in half of my eyebrows, extending them to the length they should be. They don't look very natural... but maybe if I can disguise the regrowths from myself I won't feel the urge to yank them!

grrrrrrrrrrr...... gotta find a new habit.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
well, i suppose it depends on if you can stop worrying about it or not. grooming is one thing...if you are only doing it because you think it looks nice, i wouldn't worry about it. but you said it's become a nervous habit and that you continue to do it even when it looks bad and that you do it more when you're depressed. those are all warning signs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I know. I know it looks bad, and people have started making comments. It's kind of like eating more cookies when I know I wish my waist was thinner.

Yea, a few months ago right after breaking up with my most recent ex, I remember sitting in my class, totally not paying attention to the lecture. I stared at my piece of paper and I tried to see how many hairs I could pull out. It was like a game almost. I think that's when it started being a nervous habit. At the time, I was just sooo depressed that I didn't even care. At that time, I didn't shower or eat. I wore the same clothes day after day sometimes. It was gross. I'm fine now, cept for the nervous eyebrow thing. Maybe it's just sheer boredom.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i agree with kreeli that if you still do it even though you think it looks bad, thats not grooming anymore.

i did this for years and my family still makes fun of me. for me it was not only my eyebrows but anything on my face too. i would use exfoliators till my skin was so raw. i used to pick at my nose so much because i thought there was dirt in my pores, that my skin would bleed, make a scab, and in turn id just pick at the scab. gross. i plucked my eyebrows til they bled too, cause my skin is fair and i can see the hairs underneath my skin if i look with a magnifying mirror. ive stopped it for the most part but i still go overboard sometimes with the grooming. although my eyebrows wont grow back the same now
for me it was a nervous habit. im very high strung.

the thing is though, if you really feel that it IS a nervous habit, even if you throw your tweezers out, i'd still consider looking deeper into this. because if your doing it out of nervousness/stress, and tweezers are unavailable, you might just replace tweezing with something else to serve the same purpous as the tweezing. im just suggesting that because thats the way i am. when one coping mechanism is unavailable i swtich to my next reliable stand by.

good luck and i hope you work it out. (and btw, if you havent tried already, filling in your eyebrows with a short brush and a good powder eyeshadow helps when they get super sparse)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
welcome back by the way.

i agree with the suggestion of throwing out the tweezers. you'll be itching to dig them out of the trash at first but after a couple of days without them hopefully the urge won't be as strong and you can leave them alone. then yeah when they grow back go to a salon. around here they only charge like 8 bucks to do eyebrows and they can show you exactly what shape and how full they should be for your particular facial structure.

i was watching this thing on tv the other day actually, showing tricks on how to shape them properly at home, and the expert they had there did say that some girls pluck too much too young and then the hairs never grow back as they get older and they spend their whole adult lives with really tiny or no eyebrows.

just make an effort to not look at them when you look in the mirror and to not touch them, or as the hairs grow back you'll just want to pull them out.

oh, i did know a kid once who used to pull out the hair on his head. it was a nervous habit he picked up after his parents got divorced plus his dad was somewhat of an alcoholic and not particularly nice. his mom always made him get it shaved down really short but it didn't really help. he always had a couple of big bald spots on the sides of his head. looked awful and i'm sure he probably got teased about it in school. poor kid

·
Registered
230 Posts
You should find another habit (good) that will distract you from pulling at your facial hairs. I used to always break my nails and pick them off until they were down to my skin.. this made for lots of gross little nail parts around my house and I thought it was wierd that I always always always would do this without a reason. Try braiding a small area of hair from your head whenever you feel the eyebrow urge.. then your eyebrows will grow back and you'll have cute little hippie braids around your face!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts