VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local co-op has weekly sales, however they do not mark the new price on the package - it is up to the cashier to know the sale price...some are much better at this than others and I am constantly over-charged. I catch an item nearly every time I shop...who knows (with the kids etc) how many I am NOT catching.

I have had it, so I am going to talk to the manager on Monday (right after my swim, Kurm)

Also, their receipt does not list specific items, so it is next to impossible to see they have over-charged me after the fact, but rather just lists grocery, produce etc.

Anything like this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Yes, I always check.

Especially with special offers. I try to check everything while they scan it cause with the barcodes there are no prices on the articles.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mushroom

Our local co-op has weekly sales, however they do not mark the new price on the package - it is up to the cashier to know the sale price...some are much better at this than others and I am constantly over-charged. I catch an item nearly every time I shop...who knows (with the kids etc) how many I am NOT catching.

I have had it, so I am going to talk to the manager on Monday (right after my swim, Kurm)

Also, their receipt does not list specific items, so it is next to impossible to see they have over-charged me after the fact, but rather just lists grocery, produce etc.

Anything like this happen to anyone else?
Swim? It's 8:30pm here and I have not done any swimming today.

I could create a simple system for them that would list every item and use the correct prices; all they'd need is a basic personal computer running Windows. And due to the Aussie/US exchange rate it'd be a bargain.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My local produce market gives out reciepts with only prices as well mushroom.. but it's always the owner's wife that runs the one checkout stand so she always knows what the prices currently are. I would definitely say something to the manager though .. you should make a list of items and prices while you shop and then you'll have it on paper what the prices should actually be.

Over the weekend I got my produce from a different market in a city I might be moving to .. and I liked it; until I noticed that most of the fruits and veggies were already packaged for you. Like nectarines were $.69 per pound, but there were no loose ones to choose from and no baggies around.. they were all already bagged in groups of 6-10 nectarines a piece. I went ahead and got a small bag since they looked so yummy, but who knows how much extra you would end up paying if you only went in there for a few things ya know.. just thought I'd share that with you. Next time I'm just bringing my TJ's cloth bags and picking out however much stuff I specifically want.
)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah there's a bulk food store near me that pre-bags everything as well. i hate that. people go to bulk stores to buy as much or as little as they need, i thought that was the whole point???

it's all weighed and labeled in the store. on the plus side the price is on the label so you know how much exactly you're paying rather than trying to calculate the price per pound or whatever, but i'd still rather portion my own stuff.

i don't blame you for being upset at being overcharged, that just doesn't seem right at all. the only problem where i work is that sometimes sale stuff scans at regular price, but it's a simple matter of looking at the sale sticker on the tag and doing a price override. that's why sale stickers are important

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Our co-op used to have that problem, as well. I worked there for several years, so I'm well aquainted with the issue... We kept the sales flyers by the registers, and tried to memorize them. This helped, but frequently stuff would slip through.

We had basic electronic cash registers, no scanners. As a frequent cash-register operator, I can tell you that it is not easy to remember everything that's on sale, or prices, especially when they changed every month. Some co-ops even change the sales every two weeks! We didn't overcharge on purpose, but we were totally aware of the problem of overcharging.

Another problem -- not from the customer's side! -- is that if an item failed to get a price tag, it was easier to quickly make up a price, agree on it with the customer, and move on (because price checks take a long time, co-ops tend to be understaffed, and Murphy's Law states that there is almost always a long line when this happens.) Usually the agreed-on price was low so as to resolve the problem quickly. So not only were we overcharging for sale items occasionally, we were also undercharging and cheating ourselves when stuff didn't have a price. Some unscrupulous customers took advantage of this and removed price tags from items before coming to checkout.

Finally we invested in a POS system with scanners. It was a huge expense and a huge headache, getting every barcode of thousands of products entered into the computer system. But it was totally worth it. The computer screens show what was rung up and how much it cost, so customers are happy, and the reciepts show the item as well as the cost.

A lot of co-ops can't afford to switch yet, it is truly a henious expense. And the amount of work involved is insane! But my co-op is happily a successful one, and we were able to afford the investment. And it has made most people a lot happier, on both the customer side and the store side.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Even with barcode scanners, it is very hard for a store to have all the prices entered into the system correctly.

The sale prices at my work change every 2 weeks, and there are probably a couple hundred things on sale at a time. Each time the sales change, the new prices must be changed in the system. There are often several flavors of one product, and each flavor has a different barcode, and must be changed individually, and quite frequently one might be missed. What's more, when a product gets a new label sometimes it'll also get a new UPC code and will no longer be in file. This happens very frequently with wine because each time the vintage changes (say from 2002 to 2003) so will the UPC code. So when the price is changed to the sale price in the system, it might just be changed for the old UPC and not the new.

Long story short - it's hard work to get everything right. Please have patience with us grocery store workers. You just have to spend a few minutes there, we spend 8 hours a day there.

And please, I beg all of you, NEVER ask a cashier "Are you open?"

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "system" seems set up to collect extra money in my stores case...I can honestly not think of ONE instance where I was under-charged.

Many times my cashier does not know ANY of the sale prices. It is like they don't even try.

I would say for every $50 that I spend, they attempt to over-charge me $3 - $4. Most of the time the only reason that I am buying a particular item, is BECAUSE it is on sale...then I don't get the sale.

I over-hear other customers having the same problem, often.

Also, our co-op is small...so each week they might have 2 dozen items on sale...not impossible to remember.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I shop at Whole Foods. Guess I'm spoiled. Though, I don't have a pool. I do have an ocean, not that I'd swim in it.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
we don't have anything like that around here. i shop at a big chain grocery store. they have good prices and quality but i'd prefer to give my money to a small community-run place. there's a little fruit and veg market downtown and my health food store sells some organic product, but i can't get everything i buy from either of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts