VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The major black-owned newspaper in Tennessee published a list of registered voters who live in predominantly black North Nashville and who did not vote in the August primary. The intent of the newspaper seems to have been to get/prompt/prod these people to vote in the November election.

A local political science professor wrote a guest editorial denouncing this practice, calling it "a new low" and "callous and unethical."

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Storie...ry/index.shtml

What do you think?

What would you think if the newspaper were the city's major newspaper and published a list of the non-voters in all areas of the city--rich and poor, black and white, etc.?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Voting should be private, I feel very strongly about that. Where I live voting is compulsory (or at least, turning up to vote and getting your name ticked off as having voted is). In a country where voting is not compulsory the decision to vote or not to vote should remain private as well, not used as something to sell more papers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Something definately needs to be done to motivate the non-voters in the US but I dont think thats the right way to go about it. Probably going to do more harm than good.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I think everyone who can vote, should vote but I also think that it's essentially a personal choice and that you shouldn't "shame" people into voting. That's just stupid and unfair.

eta: and it seems to assume that these people couldn't be bothered to vote and need some kind of persuading. There are many reasons people might not have voted. Maybe they didn't want any of the candidates. Maybe they couldn't get to a polling station. Maybe an emergency happened that kept them busy for the day. It seems ridiculous to make a blanket assumption that people who don't vote just don't care.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That seems to be a better way to get a lot of people mad at the media than to get people to vote.

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

Something definately needs to be done to motivate the non-voters in the US but I dont think thats the right way to go about it. Probably going to do more harm than good.
yeah i agree.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

Do the people named get equal time to explain why they didn't vote?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts