VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tofu that is 2 days out of date, reckon it's ok to eat as long as I cook it *really* well?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just used some tofu that was about a week passed its date. It smelled fine (no smell, actually, a good sign) and wasn't discolored in any way. All went well.

The dates on most food packages are precautionary. Usually they're used by the folks who stock store shelves so that they remove food before it has a chance to go bad. But, if you have something at home that looks, smells, and tastes fine, it probably is fine.

As a disclaimer, be really careful with fresh tofu. I had a cake of fresh tofu once that had one very tiny pink dot on it. I thought nothing of it, made tofu gravalax and was ill for a day. Bleh.

·
Registered
0 Posts
They are precautionary... But milk always went bad before the date... Perhaps just my luck? I'm glad I don't have to worry about accidently pouring old milk on my cereal anymore!!!! Muahaha.... Especially since I usually finish vanilla soymilk within a week.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
myownpath--that was very funny. aqua net--holy flashback!! however i will still listen to heart and d.l.!!!!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
So, I had some tofu that wasn't out of date, but when I went to open it to freeze it I noticed is smelled a little-sour? Not bad, just a little bit. The water was also a little thick. Do you think I should chuck it? I really hate to waste tofu out of paranoia, but I don't really want to get sick, either. Whaddya think?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Your call... but I would definately throw something out, even if I questioned it. I hate getting sick from food poisoning ect. I have a sensitive stomach, so I dont even bother questioning the goodness of products.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I just used some Tofu that was about a week out of date. It was just fine. If you rinse it and it has any smell at all, you can just cut off the outside layers, and the inside is usually OK. It's kinda like cheese in that respect. If it still is a little sour smelling just compost it!

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I often buy tofu that's a couple of days too old, then I get it at half the price, however, if it's really old, I don't, it's just too sour, not really bad, but not fresh-tasting. I agree with what EquiPro says, often when I've kept my tofu in the fridge a little to long, and the surface starts to get a little bit uhm.. slimy , I just cut that off, and then it's just fine on the inside..

BTW, lately I've been buying soy yogurt that's too old, the one I've got now is actually 10 days over the limit
, but hey, it's completely fine tastewise (tasting really fresh), and I get it (500 g , big tub) for 5 kr (less than $ 1) , it would otherwise cost a mindboggling 30 kr (a little less than $ 5). It's short-conservation yogurt, and since it's so expensive they aren't able to sell all of it before the expiery date, so I get to buy it really cheaply.

I did buy a couple of tubs at regular price too, heck, I want them to keep selling it, and anyway, my parents are paying...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts