VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a copy of the letter I sent to a bread making company, Ecce Panis, whose products are sold at my local supermarket. Note the New Jersey address and the fact that I have a New York address, meaning the bread is sold interstate, and should be subject to federal labeling laws from what I understand, which from what I understand are stricter than for food products sold intra-state in NY.<br><br><br><br>
I of course used my real name on the letter.<br><br><br><br>
Here is a typical ingredient list:<br><br><br><br>
===========================<br><br>
Our completely natural ingredients include: Unbleached wheat flour (contains folic acid), water, natural starter, wheat bran, salt, and yeast.<br><br>
=========================<br><br><br><br>
This is for their <i>Pane Rustico</i>, "crusty Italian, dense crust, airy inside, no fat... originally developed in the Tuscan region of Italy"<br><br><br><br>
Package was "last date of sale" dated.<br><br><br><br>
If I try to view the attached letter it comes up with a php extension instead of a doc extension, meaning it doesn't automatically open up in Microsoft Word like it is supposed to. You may have to "save" it then change the extension to "doc" then open it with Word.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's see, it's now May 19th -- 9 day since I mailed them the letter. OK, let's give them a few more days before we jump to any conclusions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Give it two weeks, they're probably still trying to figure out what exactly you want know, and what they think you should know.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just noticed that their "semolina loaf" has sesame seeds all over the outside of it, and there is not a word about sesame seeds in the ingredient list.<br><br><br><br>
Kpickell, to understand what the phrase "our completely natural ingredients include" means, just look up the word <b>include</b> in any English dictionary. I'd prefer to go by the dictionary meaning, rather than your meaning, which seems to differ.<br><br><br><br>
If the phrase doesn't allow for the inclusion of ingredients other than the ones mentioned in the ingredient list, then the ingredient list misinforms us, since indeed there is another ingredient. I would have a false-advertising case against them. And a big lawsuit if I were allergic to sesame seeds. If the phrase does allow for the inclusion of other ingredients (and it does) then the ingredient list does not misinform us; no false-advertising takes place; rather, it simply does not tell me as much as I would like to know.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, the mail for 2003 Jun 02 has arrived -- and still nothing from Ecce Panis, about 22 days since I sent my letter.<br><br><br><br>
Does their ingredient list include <b>all</b> the ingredients in their bread; are their any ingredients that are in the bread, but that aren't listed in the label?<br><br><br><br>
I have already observed first hand that there <b>are</b> ingredients that are in the bread, but that aren't listed in the label. Sesame seeds were heavily sprinkled on the outside of their semolina bread, but they were not listed on the label.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got a response from Ecce Panis, dated 2003 Jun 19, about 40 days from the date on my letter.<br><br><br><br>
I'll scan it in, upload it, and write my comments about it, later today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts