VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have gone vegetarian since last Thanksgiving. We did some shopping this evening for our Thanksgiving. I'm making vegan mashed potatoes, corn and peas. She's making the vegan dressing and green bean casserole. We have cranberries and will commandeer a pie before this thing is over. Am I missing anything?

We talked about getting a tofurkey but, it didn't really sound good to me. I've never tried it but, if I were making something with tofu it would be fresh spring rolls.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you have access to a store that sells Field Roast (I think I've seen you talk about Earth Fare before, they should have it), do give the Celebration Roast a try. It's very tasty.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
That sounds fantastic! Great job

I think all that would make a very tasty meal on its own, part of the fun of going veg*n is getting away from the "main dish and two sides" mentality and experimenting more with different ways to eat. I frequently eat a collection of 'side dishes' as a main meal

However, if you are looking for a centerpiece dish and want to stay away from Tofurky and such there are a lot of options. You could do something totally nontraditional like a lasagna, soup, stir fry, casserole, etc. or maybe try a nut roast, there are a lot of great Thanksgiving recipes here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/tag/ve...iving-recipes/

Hope that helps! Also, I second Kari's Field Roast recommendation, that stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I didn't see any stuffing on your menu! I made this roasted eggplant w/ cornbread stuffing and herb mushroom gravy as a feature for the Canadian Thanksgiving :http://www.marystestkitchen.com/2011...read-stuffing/ It was really goooood. :)

If you DO try the celebration roast, make sure you wrap it up and put some water at the bottom of the oven so everything stays really moist. I like it but it goes dry easy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
FalconBrother, congrats on your first veg Thanksgiving. This will also be the first for my son and I. I'm making a black bean and potato veggie stew in the crock pot, and we'll have yams, cranberries, garden salad, and cherry pie. Not bad for a couple bachelors

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Yay! Congratulations to both of you! We are celebrating with you! I have found that the Thanksgiving meal is one of the easiest to "veggenise". Your food sounds delicious.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Eating a piece of Tofurky on Thanksgiving is a rite of passage for vegetarians and vegans. If you don't do you, you can't join the club

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I've never had Tofurkey. I never liked turkey anyway, so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Falconbrother, what about sweet potatoes?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree, the celebration roast is amazing. This is my first veg thanksgiving, but we did a trial run a few weeks ago. YUM.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Congrats on your first veggie Thanksgiving! This will be mine too
I'm making a pumpkin pie and some lentil-sage mock sausage rolls, along with baked sweet potatoes and a big decked-out salad.

I'm honestly somewhat nervous, because I have good reason to expect a fair amount of harassment from my family at this meal. I wish I was hosting rather than being a guest because I'd have more control over the food, but I'm not and I'll just have to live with it.

If anyone has any good veg stuffing recipes, I'd be thrilled if you posted them! I really want to make a chickpea stuffing but haven't found any recipes for it yet.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

My wife and I have gone vegetarian since last Thanksgiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Zucchini View Post

FalconBrother, congrats on your first veg Thanksgiving. This will also be the first for my son and I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

I agree, the celebration roast is amazing. This is my first veg thanksgiving, but we did a trial run a few weeks ago. YUM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Congrats on your first veggie Thanksgiving! This will be mine too
Yay! Congrats everyone on your first veg Thanksgiving!
Personally, I feel kind of free not eating meat around Thanksgiving. When I was an omni I just felt guilty while everyone else stuffed their faces, but now I can eat a ton with my tofurky!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Eating a piece of Tofurky on Thanksgiving is a rite of passage for vegetarians and vegans. If you don't do you, you can't join the club
We'll, my wife wants some tofu turkey so, she shall have it. I suppose I'll eat it too. She's in the cooking mode right now. As I type this I'm smelling green bean casserole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I've never had Tofurkey. I never liked turkey anyway, so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Falconbrother, what about sweet potatoes?
I love sweet potatoes. I love them baked, french fried or creamed. Yams with the little marshmallows on top are freakin off the hook. I was lusting over some at the grocery store yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

"Celebration Roast" I even like the sound of it. I'll take my lunch break tomorrow at Earth Fare and pick one up.

Why do people eat meat with all this good stuff???

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I'm making Tofurkey roast with stuffing and gravy, mashed potatoes, asparagus, whole kernel corn, and some sort of fresh bread (haven't decided yet,) and apple pie. It will be just my mother and me, and of course Winkie the Wonder Pooch and my zebra finch Long John.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Congrats on your first Veggie Thanksgiving
....I havent ever had Tofurkey and have been veggie almost 22 years.....LOL

Peace

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went to Earth Fare and bought some vegan stuff for Thanksgiving. I bought a fig loaf, some mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and some other stuff. My wife says that the fig loaf is awesome. I'm ready to give it a try.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: The fig loaf is awesome with vegan stuffing and vegan mushroom gravy. We also bought some mashed sweet potatoes, green beans almondine, blue berry pie. Awesome. A little pricy but, awesome..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts