VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we let both of our labs into our yard at the same time, they play so roughly with each other that I am afraid they will hurt one of our younger children (without meaning to). They run, leap and mouth each other, not noticing if anyone might be in the way...and they weigh about 90 + pounds each. So, we alternate...one day, it's Sweeties turn to come up, the next day, it's Dave's turn.<br><br><br><br>
They only act "wild" if they are together AND people are in the yard. They act calm, once the humans go into the house.<br><br><br><br>
They act okay if the other dog isnt present (not great) and mind fairly well, but together they do not mind at all and I can not control them. They are very strong.<br><br><br><br>
I posted about how Sweetie used to chase our chickens, but she finally stopped doing that. (I have no idea why, but I am glad)<br><br><br><br>
I don't have tons of time and energy to spend "training" them, but if someone has an idea, I would be very appreciative (and so would our dogs) Thanks!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I love watching my dogs play like that. They go crazy. We bought this house specifically so that they would have a good yard to play that way in. They can be perfectly mellow one minute then if I join them in the yard, they go berzerk. They act like it's the funnest thing ever. I either get out of the way or play with them. I can't imagine ever making the decision to completely prevent them from doing it. If I speak firmly to them (like after they have accidentally run into me), they take it down several notches. We are like a pack and they know me as the alpha. If they don't listen, they are sent inside. I immediately stop the fun. They learn through repetition. It's important that you stick to whatever method you decide to use.<br><br>
I don't have kids, so I don't have to worry about that aspect of it. I'd just let them out together when the kids are in the house. You do have a fenced yard, don't you?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we have a large fenced yard...and a large fenced area down below, so our dogs can be fenced near the house or 100 ft or so away from the house. They have a lot of opportunity to be together in both yards to roughhouse together. Yet, they usually act pretty calm with each other...that is, until we (the humans) enter the yard.<br><br><br><br>
Then they go wild and it's just not safe to have my kids & dogs in the yard together...so, I usually just leave one dog below...that dog feels left out, but children are safe.<br><br><br><br>
It is sort of like the dogs are entirely different dogs, when they are together. They don't mind at all...

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I think they are playing/fighting to determine their place in the herd.<br><br><br><br>
In home things are clear for them. YOU are the leader.<br><br><br><br>
When they are more free, they test who of them two is boss over the other.<br><br><br><br>
I don't know how you stop that.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Maybe they're trying to impress you? Probably they're just playing. Dogs get excited when people they like are around. Teach em that you don't like that. Ignore em, yell at em, or soak em..that's what I say.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used the hose and Super Soakers...and they work, but they only mind when I have these in my hands! I need an invisible Soaker I guess...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts