VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... well... my parents are getting BT broadband next week some time, and they want to know if there's any way that you can get the broadband connection on two computers at the same time.

Basically, my Dad will want to use the connection for work purposes, on his laptop, but we'll also want to use it for the home computer - is there any way we can do this without switching over the leads all the time?

Many thanks, and sorry if that didn't make any sense!

Gazumpy

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can get a router or Network the home pc and laptop but that would mean the computer with the modem would always have to be on if the other pc want to use the net so it would be cheaper and easier with a router

·
Registered
156 Posts
The cheapest option is to connect the 2 (or more) computers to their own network and then share the internet connection. If the computer that the DSL is on has Windows XP it's relatively easy to set up. You should have a network card in each machine and get either a small cheap hub or a cross-over cable. This may sound a bit daunting, but there are many sites that have step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Then again, you can get a packaged wireless home-networking kit from an electronics retailer and you can access the net from the laptop while sitting in the smallest room in the house.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Linux is great for routers, we have one and it's also hosting our websites.

So yes I agree with the wisdom of the router-recommenders.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I had the setup Automaton described last year. It was easy to put together, mainly because both of our computers were already set up with network cards.

Just talk to someone at Best Buy. They're knowledgable and they'll have everything you need.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I suggest getting a wireless router, it makes it alot easier to use a laptop, plus you can directly hook up the other computer to the router via a network cable. Thats how i have mine set up and i dig it. Nice to be able to go anywhere in the house with my computer and not have to worry about cords. I spent like $230 at best buy and have the top of the line sh!t, my cable modem doesn't even transfer as fast as the wireless can go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts