VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a paper on organized sports and kids and would like your input.

It has been said that organized sports such as little league are good for children.

Some disagree saying that children are better at organizing their own games than participating in organized sports.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think there is good to be had with both scenarios.

My dd participates in gymnastics which she loves. I think participating in organized sports can give kids a sense of teamwork, leadership, and its fun. Playing together on their own also does the same thing and encourages creativity too.

my dd did also do soccer when she was 4 ( she is 6 now), at that age it was all about fun, no scores, no winning or losing, just fun.

my ds will be 4 for next soccer season so i will sign him up too.

i take them just about every day in nice weather to the playground/rec field in our town, the kids most always get together and play some sort of game.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think organized sports are fine for kids if the kids want to play.

Not so good though if it's for the parents satisfaction or ego needs.

Not all kids are the same. Let's let them choose their activities within reason.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I detested sport when I was a kid. Playing games with other kids was fun however, as was dancing. It really depends on the individual child whether it's something they'll enjoy or not. Just don't force it on them, let them choose. For kids who choose not to partcipate encourage them to dance or walk etc so they get some exercise.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk View Post

I think organized sports are fine for kids if the kids want to play.

Not so good though if it's for the parents satisfaction or ego needs.

Not all kids are the same. Let's let them choose their activities within reason.
I totally agree about letting them decide.

My dd play T ball when she was 5..........she hated it, she said it was boring, so she stopped and i let her, some people said to me "you should make her finish, she started and shouldnt be allowed to quit"

my response was she is 5 yrs old, why in the world would i make her do something she hates???? i would never make my kids participate in any activity they hate at any age.

oh and the neighbors in my neighborhood, would be screaming at the kids, coaching from the sidelines...........i was always horrified, i mean these are 5 yo kids for petes sake!!!!!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My mom never made us play sports but my sister played softball one season. She wanted to come back next year but she didn't play well enough so they kind of did things behind her back and didn't inform her about sign ups,etc. so she couldn't join. They were the types screaming from the side lines and freaking out about which team would win a KIDS game. The whole experience kind of turned my family off to organized sports.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If the kids like it, let them do it. Encourage themgently to playsport, but don't push them. I hated sport as a kid. I'm just not the sporty type.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I don't allow sports during the school year, there just isn't enough time after school (8 - 4), homework, dinner, bath and bed at 7:30. My kids are little 5 & 7. It might be selfish of me, but I insist on some family time. In the summer, they are allowed to play one sport if they want. Thankfully, they each decided on a different one so I won't have to try to keep track of too different kids on two different fields.

Personally, I'm not a sports person. I like the idea of just going outside and playing in an unstructured way. Just being a silly kid. My boys are best friends and play wonderfully together. I am always bummed out in the summer if they choose to play a sport and we have to stop our fun family time for it. But, it's up to them what they want to do, I would never stop them from playing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts