VeggieBoards banner

organic gardening question

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Randa 
There are specialty seed developers who you can order seeds from. Some of them are non commercial seed savers, others are very small businesses. Usually they have varieties that are much better than the big companies. There are a few good cultivars available from regional suppliers. In the northeast, for example, there is Harris seeds, Johnny's. But the hobbyists are better. Some are retired geneticists, from the big seed houses. Check with your local cooperative extension for hints on which cultivars are known to grow best in your climate and soil.

I suggest that for a few favorite plants, learn how to save their seeds and how to chose fathers and breed your own varieites. How to breed your own vegetable varieites by Carol Something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa View Post

What are the best additives for soil? I'm trying to start a compost but I need to add to the soil now before the season gets too late.
It depends upon the particular soil. In the US, can have Cooperative Extension test a sample of your soil and make recommendations for soil amendment. You can even specify you want to use organic soil amendments or "any" soil amendment, and they'll recomend organic or any. The test is, if I recall correctly, less than $20. Other countries probably have their own version of a Cooperative Extension agricultural service. University run, gov funded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.