VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello veggies!
I've been living mostly in flats and apartments recently so I don't have much of my own land to be gardening on. But I'm trying to doing what I can, having been inspired by basic ideas about balcony gardens, I've started growing strawberries and some yummy mini wild strawberries in some hanging pots around the place.

So I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in my land-scant position or if you could suggest any veggies that would do OK. The pots I have now get good late-afternoon to evening sun.

Thanks in advance!

clo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! I'm limited to container gardening too. I have found that heavy duty plastic containers work best with "soil-less" potting mix. If you can get at least 5 hours of direct sunlight, you'll be good to go with leafy veggies/lettuces (which is really awesome to grow), but root (like carrots) and flowering (like tomatoes) crops will need more, depending on the variety. Look around, though -- I've found recommended varieties for container gardening and have had pretty good luck. Have fun!

K

·
Registered
48 Posts
When my son was younger, we always planted a potato or two in a big bucket. We always harvested enough for a few meals - and it was such fun, and they were so tastey!

I have heard of folk buying a growbag, slicing it in half, and standing each half on end - to make two seperate growing containers (needs a bit squidging and flattening around the base). Apparently very cost effective too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts