VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made an online profile for a vegan dating website. I have never made an online thing like this before. I always though online dating was for desperate people and I could always meet someone in person - esp at my age (I'm 21). However after 2 years of the duds looking for one night stands at bars I'm out of ideas, also out of patience lol. Does making this profile scream "desperate"?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
No. Just inquisitive. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Nope! I have signed up for a few sights in the past.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
I've also been on a dating site for a year or so (I'm 23) but I've stopped my profile because for me the cliché proved true: people on dating sites are all disordered in some way (what does this say about me lol). I met some people there, even my ex-boyfriend, but let's just say he isn't my ex now without reason.

However ofcourse this doesn't have to go for every dating site, and I hope you can find what you seek. It's always worth giving it a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having an online profile doesn't make you desperate, it just widens your horizons!

I met my DH online, and it's our 9 year anniversary next month. Its the same month as his 6 month veg anniversary too.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I've been online dating for a while and I know what you mean - there's definitely still a bit of a stigma attached. But hey, everybody you'll meet online is online dating too, so it's not like they'll judge you for it! I've actually had really good experiences online. I've had a lot of first dates that didn't go anywhere, but all with interesting, normal guys that I never would have met otherwise, and I've had a few things that have developed into longer term relationships or at least good friendships.

Of course, I've also had creepy messages from total losers, but as long as you don't engage with those ones (and always meet for the first time in a public place), you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
not desperate at all. It's just another way to meet people. I dated someone I met online for 2 years. It didn't work out but he's a great guy. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys =] i feel better about signing up to the site now. And all your experiences meeting people are good inspiration that I will meet someone.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
imho it's not that much different than meeting people in the flesh. You're going to meet morons, but you're also going to meet some great people. The difference is that you initially meet through a computer. And to be honest, I've met a lot stranger people in person than I have online.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i'm hoping if they get to know mw online first they will be less likely to sleep with me once or twice then bail. I'm just sick of people only wanting in my pants.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

Well i'm hoping if they get to know mw online first they will be less likely to sleep with me once or twice then bail. I'm just sick of people only wanting in my pants.
No, you don't hope they get to know you, you MAKE them fall in love with you first, and then you let them in your pants! Then there's no bailing cos they come to the realisation that they just can't live without you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

No, you don't hope they get to know you, you MAKE them fall in love with you first, and then you let them in your pants! Then there's no bailing cos they come to the realisation that they just can't live without you.
I like the sounds of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

People who go to bars and clubs are also all disordered in some way. I think worse.
Exactly and I'm sick of it!

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

People who go to bars and clubs are also all disordered in some way. I think worse.
I said that for me personally the clichè proved true, which is something else than you just quoted, because it turns it into my experience, and not a fact
I also said, that it's never a bad idea to try something like this.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Since I met my boyfriend of 3 years online I'm all for it! We didn't meet through a dating site but through a shared network on Facebook, but the principle is still the same and I know a lot of people who have had success with Plenty of Fish too. Actually, come to think of it I had another relationship that started online too, that one didn't work out obviously but it was fun while it lasted and I don't regret it.

The way I see it getting to check someone out online streamlines the process a ton. Rather than chatting up whoever looks attractive at a bar and hoping you have something in common you can choose who to talk to based on pictures and a whole profile with their interests, you can even talk online or over the phone first and see how you vibe. It really cuts down on awkward first dates, that's for sure!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've had success with online dating in the past. Two long-term bfs (longterm for me = approx 1 year and up?). They're are ex's, but it really was just a case of realizing we weren't as compatible as hoped for. But that can happen with any relationshis, regardless of how it came to be. So I say go for it! It's a great way to meet people. Just remember, there WILL be some not-so-impressive people, and since online dating allows a much speedier process of meeting people, it may seem like there are a lot, but don't despair!

Now let me just sound like a mother for a moment. Make sure to be safe! No private info to strangers! And if you take it the next step and decide to meet face to face, make sure it's in a public place!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Since I met my boyfriend of 3 years online I'm all for it! We didn't meet through a dating site but through a shared network on Facebook, but the principle is still the same and I know a lot of people who have had success with Plenty of Fish too. Actually, come to think of it I had another relationship that started online too, that one didn't work out obviously but it was fun while it lasted and I don't regret it.

The way I see it getting to check someone out online streamlines the process a ton. Rather than chatting up whoever looks attractive at a bar and hoping you have something in common you can choose who to talk to based on pictures and a whole profile with their interests, you can even talk online or over the phone first and see how you vibe. It really cuts down on awkward first dates, that's for sure!
Plenty of fish is good too? my friend told me to use it but that was before I made this one on a vegan network. I guess I could try the omnivorous world wide web while I'm dabbling in the vegan one (seriously one vegan in my area and i listed Toronto not a small area.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Now let me just sound like a mother for a moment. Make sure to be safe! No private info to strangers! And if you take it the next step and decide to meet face to face, make sure it's in a public place!
Haha you dont sound like a mother at all everyone has been telling me that.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts