VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DONT PREACH

thats it

nobody wants to hear you complaining about how many chickens are stuffed into a cage that such a small size bla bla.

they'll just think you're stupid.

if you're discussing it then fine but don't preach! its pretty much the worst thing you can do as a new vegetarian/veg*n

trust me..i learned!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpens View Post

DONT PREACH

thats it

nobody wants to hear you complaining about how many chickens are stuffed into a cage that such a small size bla bla.

they'll just think you're stupid.

if you're discussing it then fine but don't preach! its pretty much the worst thing you can do as a new vegetarian/veg*n

trust me..i learned!
You obviously learned the hard way...

OMG I'm turning into Krista...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Why not? I mean I have a friend who constantly fights me on the subject and says "yummmmmmm good cow." He tells me if cows are given a plate of "cow" in front of them they will indeed eat it. He mocks me for it, of course it's all in a kidding manner, and he doesn't understand because he loves his "meat" which is fine with me, but I think it's ok to tell him about how badly animals are treated. I'm not going to try and make him into a veggie, but I still wank at him about eating them, but he's also one of my close friends, I don't really yell at other people about it ('cept my mommy sometimes) I wouldn't go up to a stranger in a restuarant whose eating meat though and be like" OMG DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT ANIMAL HAD TO SUFFER?!?!?!?"

·
Registered
644 Posts
For me I never really have to "preach". It seems everyone around me has to bring up the subject for me, lol. They ask questions and comment, and I just reply. I've approached a stranger politely once, but it was really difficult for me. I handed a lady an Iams leaflet, but instead of reading it herself she asked what was wrong with Iams. I didn't want to explain it to her, because she had younger children with her. So I had to be really general, but man I was nervous.

Yes, you should never be too preachy or angry, or you won't get the reaction you're looking for.

·
Registered
146 Posts
and then there are some people who think you are bing "preachy" no matter what you say. I've had it before where I'll just be eating my lunch and someone goes off on me about it. "oh, you're vegan i dont see why you have to do that" "because it's what i believe in" "oh am i a bad person then blah blah"

Like, really, what to do about that? Sometimes I think onmis feel really guilty about eating that way and have to give you crap just to make themselves feel better.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Haha, I found that out the hard way. I was a really annoying preachy vegetarian for a year or so, but I finally realized everyone just thought I was being obnoxious and I quit it

·
Banned
755 Posts
Don't preach? ...Don't Preach???

HOW ABOUT DON'T CUT OFF THE CHICKEN BEAKS!!!!

HOW ABOUT REMEMBERING THAT WHEN A COW SAYS "MOO" IT'S NOT SAYING, "KILL ME", OR "EXPLOIT MY BODY", BUT PROBABLY JUST SAYING HELLO!

CAN A COW SAY HELLO WITHOUT DYING???

...Don't preach. Gimme a break.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well think about it. Which would you prefer: calmly getting someone to understand? Or freak out and only get them to understand that you're crazy, and not what your actual point was?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

HOW ABOUT REMEMBERING THAT WHEN A COW SAYS "MOO" IT'S NOT SAYING, "KILL ME", OR "EXPLOIT MY BODY", BUT PROBABLY JUST SAYING HELLO!
... or maybe "EET MOR CHIKN"

okay, sorry, had to. :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

Don't preach? ...Don't Preach???

HOW ABOUT DON'T CUT OFF THE CHICKEN BEAKS!!!!

CAN A COW SAY HELLO WITHOUT DYING???

...Don't preach. Gimme a break.
im talking about those kids you hear and they've been vegetairan/veeg*n forlike what..2 weeks and the go off on HUGE tangets at non-veggies about this and that and this. im not saying keep it too youself, thatd be stupid. i was just saying people dont listen if you're being harsh and rude

and some of you guys may disagree, but ill give an exampl.e PETA did something once where some naked guys and girls laid out in a giant meat package in the sun. this too me is a bit too preachy. if you want to get the word across, do it in a sane way. people arent going to see that and be like "oh my god i feel so bad im never eating meat again!!" theyre going to be like "what a bunch of idiots."

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree. Remember that people WILL get defensive if you're preachy or in thier face, and sometimes one bad experience can turn someone against a certain group for life. You don't want to turn someone into an evangelist for omni-ism. Calmly and respectfully discussing why you believe what you do is the best way to convince someone.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If you're going to cry a river, don't be the one to drown.

Ah hell that applies to a lot of people, but whatever.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:

and some of you guys may disagree, but ill give an exampl.e PETA did something once where some naked guys and girls laid out in a giant meat package in the sun. this too me is a bit too preachy. if you want to get the word across, do it in a sane way. people arent going to see that and be like "oh my god i feel so bad im never eating meat again!!" theyre going to be like "what a bunch of idiots."
yeah some of those stunts can be so way over the top that people don't see the message. (They can't see the forest for the trees). They just see a bunch of weirdos performing a weird stunt. However, I wouldn't use those dumb stunts as an example of "preachiness", though. They're just dumb stunts.

There IS one org. that can get the word out without dumb stunts or in your face preachiness, and that's Compassion Over Killing. They have volunteers hand out thousands of flyers on college campuses all over the US and Canada. The volunteers simply offer the materials to passersby, and discuss the content only when somebody asks about it. From what I've read, this method is very effective in getting people interested in the material and making converts to veg*anism. Volunteers have even said that students who've read the materials and became veg*ans have even become COK volunteers themselves.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:

PETA did something once where some naked guys and girls laid out in a giant meat package in the sun. this too me is a bit too preachy.
I think that was a great campaign. It really got the point across to many people: Human or non-human, it's still flesh. (IMO anyways; I know some on here think it is different because one is a life and one is "just property")

That would have probably changed my mind if I seen that when I was still omni.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts