VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have commited to a vegetarian diet for a week now and i'm loving it. I went veggie over a year ago for a few weeks as well but quit only because I wasnt commited enough. Now though i'm completly commited and wanting to do it. One thing though that I have noticed is how other people react or treat me when I mention i'm vegetarian. People not only react with skeptisism, but they honestly seem to get offended somehow. Its like they take it personally that I dont wanna eat meat, just because they eat meat. I have gotten into a couple arguments with friends. Why do people care so much? If somebody made a different lifestyle choice then what i choose i'm not gonna get upset and call the other person stupid, to each their own. I fully was expecting people to skeptical of my decision, as I know they are uninformed. But the hostility I get from people, including friends completly surprised me. A good friend of mine barely talked to me for a few days after I told him. So I guess i just wanted to get that off my chest. Anyways has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I get it from my parents and my husband (can't be bothered to find the rolling eye smiley
). It's just a phase, I'm doing all this so I can distract myself from my "real" problems, it's all a front, I'm doing it just to be difficult, it's not healthy, I'm going to get sick, blah, blah, blah. It stems mostly I think from ignorance and they feel like maybe because you are doing what they know is right that you are looking down on them (although I don't, I'm like you, I may be against eating meat but to each their own!)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe they know that eating meat is unhealthy/unethical, and they know they shouldn't eat it, but they can't imagine life with out it ("But meat is SSOO GOOD!!!"), and then a vegetarian comes along (you, in this case) and reminds them that people can live without meat and be happy and healthy and they dislike that? (Ok, that was a long sentence!) They don't have the willpower or stength to give up something they know they shouldn't eat, but you do have the willpower and the strength, and they're resentful of that. You respresent what they don't have and can't do, and they're jealous.

Just my opinion, I could be very very wrong.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I've actually heard exactly what both of you are saying. People just think it's too hard, and unhealthy, and then *wham* here comes a vegetarain and all the myths are torn part just by seeing you. There's a book about it actually... I forget the title... but the author talks about how everyone is actually just a blocked vegetarian.

On another note, I'm sorry you're getting so much grief for your decision. It's similar to when people go sober. Their drinking "friends" suddenly dissapear for awhile not knowing how to handle the sober person's new life. They will come around and see that you can still be fun, go out to eat, and haven't really changed that much.

Oh and welcome to the boards, and vegetarianism!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

Maybe they know that eating meat is unhealthy/unethical, and they know they shouldn't eat it, but they can't imagine life with out it ("But meat is SSOO GOOD!!!"), and then a vegetarian comes along (you, in this case) and reminds them that people can live without meat and be happy and healthy and they dislike that? (Ok, that was a long sentence!) They don't have the willpower or stength to give up something they know they shouldn't eat, but you do have the willpower and the strength, and they're resentful of that. You respresent what they don't have and can't do, and they're jealous.

Just my opinion, I could be very very wrong.
I have noticed this ridiculous behavior, and I fully agree with Tymps on this issue.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Yeah I don't like telling people I am a vegetarian unless it comes up. If it comes up and they ask I will talk about it, but otherwise I leave it alone.

I think I give off a vegetarian vibe somehow though. I'm in comm. college right now and some lady in my english class asked me if I was a vegetarian one class...randomly. I said yeah.

Then, coincedentally, in my english class for the next semester, my english teacher asked me if I ate meat.

I just have that vibe I guess
I am proud to be a vegetarian though, it feels very right in my heart.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My teachers ask me those things too! But back to the topic, I actually ended up seeing my school councellor about exam stress and this topic came up. I was complaining about exactly the same thing (about my friends), and do you know what she said? She said 'they probabally feel that you are judging them for eating meat, even if you are not and can respect their desicion. They are probabally feeling that you think you are superior to them because you have decided this, and that you will judge them for deciding against it, so they become defensive and push you away, which is really sad.'

I just thought, so that's what got them so riled... and then I said, 'but they can make their own descision about it, I just want to help them make the right one for them because I love them so I try to tell them about it' and she said 'But you know, they have the right not to know that information as well'

I don't like that right. It's a stupid right. What's education for, then? The whole world will die if everyone exercises this right. Die die die. Why won't people listen? But, it's true, it unfortunately is a right, and one I have to resspect if I want to remain friends... So they know I have the info, if they want it they can come get it anytime.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Eh.... Don't even get me started on this issue!... Damn, I can't count how shut out I have been since I went Vegan. It is like people feel that I am contagious or something. At meal times - people always feel the need to make rude comments, such as : "MMM..... Oh man, I tell ya Austin... This steak is good! You should have so... Oh... I forgot... You can't. "

Sometimes I look for others to hang out with, but I honestly have been hard pressed to find people that totally accept my choice. Luckily, I found VB. Despite the occasional carnivore that registers just to harass us, I feel that VB is a place to feel loved and be accepted!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, I've noticed a personal attack

I've also noticed that my friends try to GET me to eat meat with them, and this is just crazy

They also think that I eat nothing but raw veggies all day, and that is even crazier

though they see me eat in front of them, many things!

They ask me "what did you get at the restaurant?!?!" as if it were such a shocking surprise that I'd be able to eat anything there...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2420 View Post

One thing though that I have noticed is how other people react or treat me when I mention i'm vegetarian. People not only react with skeptisism, but they honestly seem to get offended somehow.
Welcome to vegetarianism

You'll meet all sorts. Some will be impressed, others will take the news differently. Just make sure you get your friends to realise that you're still you and nothing's really changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night the perfect example of what I was talking about happend. I was hanging out with a few of my buddies from high school who I havent seen in a while. I mentioned the fact that I was vegetarian to a few friends and they reacted like I was an idiot. A perfect example of the typical ignorance is something one of my friends said. "Who are you getting brainwashed from?" As soon as he said it I couldnt help but start laughing ha. I tried to defend my position but eventually just gave up knowing it was no use.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't bring it up unless it comes up, which is often enough.

I usually say something along the lines of "the meatpacking industry opposes pretty much everything I believe in politically and I don't want my money going to support its politics".

At that point, people usually back off, or express genuine interest in my choice. Many people aren't as well-read as they'd like and so they find it easy to bash your choice if it's about animal rights, but not qualified to step onto the political discussion minefield.

Of course it's largely about animal rights and the environment, but people find those arguments easy to refute, so I've decided to take a different approach

·
Registered
122 Posts
I get that hostility frequently enough that it suprises me. It's crazy because I rarely talk about it and never "preach" about it.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I've actually heard exactly what both of you are saying. People just think it's too hard, and unhealthy, and then *wham* here comes a vegetarain and all the myths are torn part just by seeing you. There's a book about it actually... I forget the title... but the author talks about how everyone is actually just a blocked vegetarian.
The book is called 'Living among meat eaters', by Carol Adams.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I always get this. If it comes up, they say "why are you veggie?"... it's sooo annoying. My first bf was a bad one for this! He was always taking the mick.... he turned out to be generally horrible anyway!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The fear of having to confront people about this is one of the reasons why I've waited so long to become a vegetarian ^_^...horrible, I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've noticed the opposite. I notice people act weird and guilty when i mention being vegetarian. Almost as though they need to defend their actions or explain why they still like meat. Or how often they eat it or don't eat it. I think underneath, most people can sense a wrongness about it and the guilt causes them to act different ways. Angry, guilty, embarrassed, blameful, you name it

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've noticed also that I'll mention being veg and someone will tell me how little meat they've been eating lately. "Oh, yeah, I'm eating less meat lately too. I had a great spagetti and marinara dish last night!"

I wonder if they're being honest (are they really eating less meat? Did they eat that vegetarian meal last night because they chose a vegetarian meal or did they just happen to run out of meat balls?). I feel that this can be an attempt to make themselves look better. They're thinking "Oh #$%@ this girls a vegan! I'm gonna look like some carnivore with sky-high cholesterol if I don't make some comment quick!"

I usually respond "Really? That's great! I love spagetti with marinara!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts